Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

S10 or 1978-88 G Body front frame clip to replace the Stude one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• studegary
    replied
    [QUOTE=PackardV8;552950
    Question "When did you last flush the brake fluid?"
    Answer "Huh, what's that?"

jack vines[/QUOTE]

My answer for my regular driver is last Thursday.
    I agree that most people are not even aware of changing brake fluid, as long as they have brakes. Since I seem to go a long time without needing brakes, I change the fluid as a stand alone operation. I know that many, but not all, change brake fluid with new pads/shoes. Our two regular use cars have more than ten years on the brakes. I guess that they will need to be replaced sometime (maybe soon).

Leave a comment:

• Mike Van Veghten
    replied
    Depends on what you call a "basket of snakes"...
    To add to Jacks statements...

Most ALL modern front crossmembers are too wide to "just" weld in. While it can be done this way... the front tires/wheels don't fit the body "correctly".
    This doesn't mean you can't narrow the S-10 or others...it just more worl.
    You can go to Morrison or other chassis p[laces and get a weld/bolt on.
    Or you can do what I did and make up your own front suspension.

But NONE of this is as easy as bolting on a front wheel...
    Not trying to be negitive...but as Jack said, if you have to ask...

Mike

Leave a comment:

• 1962larksedan
    replied
    Honest answers and I do agree about your comment that many a street rod does 'die in flight' vs. a (relative) stocker.

Although I would def want to go with the Turner disc brake swap since I do like to stop with no drama.

Leave a comment:

• PackardV8
    replied
    You asked for advice and opinion - here's one:
    As I inquired in the title: would I be getting into a basket of snakes by fitting a modern GM front frame clip under a 1951 or later Stude sedan?
    Yes, if you have to ask that question, you definitely would.

but the cold reality is that steering/suspension/brake parts are readily available for any 1982-05 Chevy S10 2WD/1978-88 GM G body in 'East Podunk', Anywhere, USA
    No, in fifty years of driving Studes, I've never had to replace a suspension or brake part in East Podunk. Maintain the OEM systems as per the Shop Manual and they'll never let you down. Every time I'm asked to rescue a stranded CASO and help repair the problem, a screaming lack of maintenance is obvious.

Question "When did you last flush the brake fluid?"
    Answer "Huh, what's that?"

I really like Studes since I'm a bit of a non conformist rebel at heart but, the 'practical side' of me dictates otherwise.
    Maybe, your car, your money, your decision. However, take it from those of us who have driven them for years, if a Stude part lets one down in East Podunk, it will be due to lack of proper maintenance, or ignoring long obvious warning signals of wear, not any fault of the basic Studebaker design or components.

FWIW, I go to rod runs and GoodGuys shows. I see more high-dollar street rod/modified cars broken down on the road than OEM Studes.

jack vines
    Last edited by PackardV8; 06-04-2011, 07:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• S10 or 1978-88 G Body front frame clip to replace the Stude one?

As I inquired in the title: would I be getting into a basket of snakes by fitting a modern GM front frame clip under a 1951 or later Stude sedan? I realize that rebuild parts are available for the OEM kingpin setup and can use the Turner disc brake swap kit but the cold reality is that steering/suspension/brake parts are readily available for any 1982-05 Chevy S10 2WD/1978-88 GM G body in 'East Podunk', Anywhere, USA.

I really like Studes since I'm a bit of a non conformist rebel at heart but, the 'practical side' of me dictates otherwise.

Mods; if I posted under the wrong prefix, please move this thread. Thanks.
Working...
X