63' Avanti Repaint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: 63' Avanti Repaint

Next project will be to repaint. I have been quoted anywhere from $2,800 to $10,000. Seems way to much of a spread and this car is a "Driver" not a "trailer queen". Can anyone recommend a reliable place near Scranton-Wilkes Barre or Poconos PA? Also would like to reshape one of my doors as well - which will obviously cost additional. If you don't want to post, then please email me directly. Thank you.

PM sent...hope I can give you decent advice.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

The top shop in town that does a lot of Corvettes quoted me $20,000 for just the paint.
      You got off lucky.

I found a club member with recent Avanti experince that did it for a lot less than that...the exact number is classified in case my wife ever reads this forum.
      63 Avanti R1 2788
      1914 Stutz Bearcat
      (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Four years ago, paint quotes for my '63 Hawk were $2,700 to $12,000 DEPOSIT (extra $$$ for body work & materials). Settled on $5,200 based on the rep of the body guy and painter (C&N, Nipoma, CA) and (very importatnt) how well we understood each other - Sort of like getting married, just doesn't last as long. Paint now costa $150 to 300 (and more for special mix) per gallon. This was on the central Calif. coast area.
        PaulTK

Comment

I removed the windows and the trim etc. on mine. Sanded the old paint, primed and sanded the primer. I then painted the sills on my Avanti and turned the project over to a body shop. They sealed the primer painted it base coat clear coat. Cost 3 years ago was $1200 material and labor and while it isn't perfect it's good enough for my car. I would take another car there anytime.

Ken

Comment

You can do what I did. Went to a local body shop, asked him to let me know when he was slow and made a deal. I had all outside hardware removed & car primed. I supplied the paint. He supplied his clear coat, preped it, had a glass expert come in and remove/replace the front and back windows after it was painted. All for $1300. In Northern NJ I couldn't say no. Is it concourse, absolutely not but, took it to a show Memorial Day weekend and it drew alot of lookers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03522.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	1668234
            Attached Files
            Last edited by bonehead007; 06-04-2011, 02:32 PM.

Comment

If she reads what you just wrote, you still are in deep sheet, and you know it!
              Originally posted by JBOYLE View Post
              The top shop in town that does a lot of Corvettes quoted me $20,000 for just the paint.
              You got off lucky.

I found a club member with recent Avanti experince that did it for a lot less than that...the exact number is classified in case my wife ever reads this forum.

Comment

I painted my Avanti last year, the materials I used was right at $1500. I used Standox base coat clear coat, it's a European paint, sold by DuPont. I did all the labor myself, and "Hope" to have it driving again in the next week or two. I did fire it up last weekend, just buttoning up all the "little things"

The average shop rate is about $45 an hour plus paint materials, which we charge at $28 per paint hour. Trust me, we are NOT getting rich on materials!

Jim
                "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                their Memorials!

Comment

Working...
                X