Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how to remove stovepipe from Climatizer pan in '57 GH?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: how to remove stovepipe from Climatizer pan in '57 GH?

the last piece to come out before I start cutting out my rusted floor areas..... is the Climatizer housing pan. But I can't figure out how to get that ~2ft piece of stove pipe off of it, that runs along the inside of the frame towards the firewall (and where hose eventually clamps on it again.)
    From the Chassis book it IS definitely a two piece system (pan and pipe are separate). I have scraped the undercoating off (into my face and nose and eyes....) best I could, and can't find any screws or anything. Does it just take more elbow-grease to twist this off? (is it only 'pushed' friction fit to the climatizer pan?
    thanks!

my 54 had one sheet metal screw that attached the sheet metal tube to the heater core housing pan that was on the underside at about the 5 o'clock position IIRC. what caught me off was the sheet metal screw at the front of the pipe that went from the interior side of the floor pan through the tube. perhaps your's has one too...could that be the problem? I wrestled with mine (and bent by stovepipe) for 30 min. before I discovered the screw at the front of the stove pipe. good luck...Junior.
    sigpic
    1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

My '53 had the pipe attached with one screw to the floor pan. Had to remove carpet to access screw head.
      "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10,
      '51 Commander Starlight,
      '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
      '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

thanks guys. I went back out, scraped away any undercoating goo that could be hiding a screw head on the floor pan, felt all around inside the stove-pipe with my hand, and scraped away undercoating all the way around on the underneath of of the car. No screws. I soaked it up with WD40 (not sure what else to try for 'solvent', that won't just make it STICKIER....) and will try again tomorrow I guess....

Comment

I removed the housing pan and stove pipe as one unit from my Speedster. Not easy but they came out and they were not destroyed.

34 Studebaker Street Rod (completed)
          55 Speedster (in work)
          63 Lark R2 (completed, 63K miles)
          64 Daytona CNV (completed, 63K miles)
          64 Avanti R2 (completed)
          85 Avanti(blackout trim, 10K miles)
          89 Avanti CNV (19K miles)

Comment

Originally posted by bsrosell View Post
            thanks guys. I went back out, scraped away any undercoating goo that could be hiding a screw head on the floor pan, felt all around inside the stove-pipe with my hand, and scraped away undercoating all the way around on the underneath of of the car. No screws. I soaked it up with WD40 (not sure what else to try for 'solvent', that won't just make it STICKIER....) and will try again tomorrow I guess....
            i use PB Blaster found at your local flaps (or wally). works pretty good. some folks also use "kroil". good luck!
            Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Originally posted by Corvanti View Post
              i use PB Blaster found at your local flaps (or wally). works pretty good. some folks also use "kroil". good luck!
              gasoline works better than anything else that I've found for dissolving undercoating and similar goo, but BE CAREFUL if you use it!

nate
              --
              55 Commander Starlight
              http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

I have removed that pipe from both my '53 Starliner and my '56 Sky Hawk. If I remember correctly, the '53 had a sheet metal screw thru the floor at the front end of the pipe as well as one at the bottom of the pipe going into the inlet for the pan. I think the Sky Hawk only had the one at the pan. Hope this helps.
                Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
                '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
                '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
                '62 GT Hawk (4 speed, A/C, Power steering - running and DRIVING!)

Comment

well, finally pulled the bugger out, in one piece. NO screws on it anywhere, just completely 'welded' (perhaps literally? almost looks like a spot weld...) on by gunk at least.
                  But, I suppose when assembled originally, it when on the body BEFORE being assembled to the frame, which would make it easy to put it back in. Now to remember that in a few years when I put it back together. :-)
                  Thanks for the replies guys!
                  Last edited by bsrosell; 06-07-2011, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X