Summit Racing Universal 4 speed shifter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Summit Racing Universal 4 speed shifter

Has anyone had experience with this shifter, it's half the price of a Hurst. the stock Stude 4speed is more than a little sloppy, it also locks up once in a while
    Mark Riesch
    New Bern, NC

Mark,

My advice would be don't down grade from the Hurst. It is a quality assembley that is easily rebuilt. I have taken an older Hurst, dis-assembled, cleaned, filed the burrs, re-greased and you are good to go. You will be able to get parts easier. Hurst even lists Stude' on their site. I believe that the 57 - 64 Chevy non-console model is the same as the Stude. That is provided you are using Stude buckets, a bench seat would require some trial fit. Hurst only lists the Hawk. If you want to discuss PM me.

Jon Kammer

Comment

After "rebushing" my original shifter a few times, I finally bought a Hurst from Dave T-Bow. I could not be happier! smooth shifting and NO rattles! IF all goes well this weekend, I will get my 63 Avanti back on the road for the first time in almost 2 1/2 years! I got her fired up last weekend, now I've got the "itch" again to drive it!!

Jim
      "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
      their Memorials!

Comment

Ditto on the Hurst. Don't cheap out on this. If you're gonna spend all that time, trouble and money to do the swap, save yourself the disappointment, get the good one. If you figure the difference of the cost between the two, it does not seem so bad. Also, selling the Stude shifter on ebay, or to someone here, will make up the difference anyway. Go for the Hurst. I've loved mine for a long time and would never go back.
        sals54

Comment

Hurst (I have a "no-name" now - The Hurst will replace it). Also, the Hurst is rebuildable if it receives harsh treatment over many years - The "no-name" is not.
          PaulTK

Comment

I bought a used Hurst on e-bay a few years ago for my Hawk & couldnt be happier. I needed the rod for reverse which was in stock at the local speed shop. Why take a chance on an unknown when a sure thing is so available although a stick & rubber bands would be better than the shifter Stude used.
            59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
            60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
            61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
            62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
            62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
            62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
            63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
            63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
            64 Zip Van
            66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
            66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Working...
            X