No front right turn lamp - '65 Wagonaire [now solved!]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: No front right turn lamp - '65 Wagonaire [now solved!]

The turn signal lamp won't light at the front right corner in my '65 Wagonaire. The rear turn lamp does light and the clicker makes noise, though slower than for the left side where both lights work. With one lamp out, the indicator lamp on the dash doesn't light for right turns; it does light for left turns.

I checked the bulb - it's OK.

I don't have on/off voltage on the 2-wire connector (wire 24) under the hood just behind the headlight. When I check the left side on the same kind of connector (wire 23), I do see the voltage go on and off. From the connector under the hood, the wires go into the main harness and re-appear at the 6-pin connector at the base of the steering column. But, if I unplug the connector, everything goes off, so I can't probe that easily, short of skinning back the insulation.

I figure the turn signal switch on the steering column must be OK if the if the rear light is flashing. Is this a good assumption?

Any one got suggestions to find the problem? Thanks!
    Last edited by garyash; 06-03-2011, 01:50 PM.
    Gary Ash
    Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
    ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
    '48 M5
    '65 Wagonaire Commander
    '63 Wagonaire Standard
    web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Race cars have turn signals? Oh, wait, the Wagonaire. Sorry.

Comment

The front turn signal would be a separate circuit from the rear Gary as the rear has to deal with the brake light while turning. I would say the circuit is open somewhere before the switch or more likely the contacts for the rf turn function in the switch itself. The dash indicator works off the front turn signals.
      Last edited by 41 Frank; 06-03-2011, 12:32 PM.
      Frank van Doorn
      Omaha, Ne.
      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
      1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
      1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Found it! It's funny how sitting down and thinking about how to describe a problem helps with thinking through the process.

The clue, as Frank notes above, is that the front and rear turn signals are on separate circuits. I pulled out the wiring diagram and my ohm meter, unplugged the 6-pin connector at the base of the steering column and checked what pins got connected when I flipped the turn signal stalk. The 12V comes through the flasher into the switch on a black wire. When the stalk goes right, the power gets connected to one pin that goes to the back right and another pin that goes to the front right (and the dash indicator bulb). Ditto for the left side. Another wire with 12V comes through the brake light switch to the turn signal switch so that the brake light signal overrides the flashing to both sides in the rear. I never knew!

So, I'm sitting there staring at the socket after checking the connections. It said that the stalk was working and should have connected the voltage to the right front light. Then I looked at the plug that I had pulled out - one of the pins didn't stick out as far as the others! This was the pin that went to the right front light. At some point in the past, me or some P.O. must have pulled on the wires and the pin started to back out of the connector. It probably was just touching for a while, then opened up. I pushed the pin way in, put the plug in the socket and then pushed the bad pin a little harder. Now it worked. Joy!

I wasn't looking forward to pulling the steering wheel to replace the turn signal switch. I think I have one here, but I put it away safely 10 years ago and haven't a clue where it is.

Oh - and this is for Bob Glasscock - the race car will have a set of bolt-on headlights, tail-lights, and turn signals so that I can pass inspection to get it licensed for highway use. Bob Valpey (green #37) and Mike Cleary (blue #18) have their cars licensed for highway use; I'm not sure about Augsut Grasis and his white car #34. At least I now know how to wire them up. I'm really looking forward to tooling down the road and watching people's faces as I go by. I'll be sure to signal for turns.
        Gary Ash
        Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
        ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
        '48 M5
        '65 Wagonaire Commander
        '63 Wagonaire Standard
        web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

Oh boy, Gary, you had better 'tool' down the road around here somewhere. I am so excited to see that thing when it is done. Whooppee, lights!!!!!

Comment

oh yeah, forgot to say -- don't be driving that car up on the marbles like some stupid rookie.

Comment

FWIW any time you need to check a wire with a volt- om meter a trick I use is to poke a safty pin into the wire rather than skining the wire.When you take it out you only have a small hole rather than a large bare wire.

Comment

Working...
              X