Springs for 1/2 ton pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame / Springs: Springs for 1/2 ton pickup

I am building a 1956 1/2 ton pickup with a Fatmans frontend kit. This lowed the front and the the back springs keep the back way to high. Is there a modern pickup spring that will work without trying to dearch the original.

No. They are 2", much narrower than newer trucks. After thinking about it for a few seconds, you could just remove a couple of leaves and put new bushings in and paint the springs. Got to slap myself.
    Last edited by Alan; 06-03-2011, 11:50 AM. Reason: To add

Comment

Count the leaves, too. Most 1/2-ton pickups I've seen came with the HD rear springs with 11 leaves. Lighter-duty springs with only 9 were available, and as noted above, you could probably remove a couple of those, too.
      Skip Lackie

Comment

What I did on my 41 Champion is I purchased a universal rear leaf spring set up from CHASSIS ENGINEERING, Ken. www.chassisengineeringinc.com
        It consists of 2 de-arched springs, all the spring hangers and shackles, two shocks, u-bolts and their plates and a square tube to mount the shocks to on top. This might be something to check into as you are still building the truck.
        Frank van Doorn
        Omaha, Ne.
        1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
        1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
        1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

How about lowering blocks? Since the springs are only 2" wide, you would probably need to make your own. I personally would't want to go much more than 2" to 3" using blocks.

Comment

How about lowering blocks? Since the springs are only 2" wide, you would probably need to make your own. I personally would't want to go much more than 2" to 3" using blocks.
            Lowering blocks are bad science for many reasons. They increase the leverage the axle has against the spring, making for more spring wrap on hard acceleration and braking. Get the right springs for the build and you'll be glad you did.

FWIW, most modern trucks put the rear springs above the axle. This cleans up the underside look of a custom truck. Moving them on a Stude requires new rear mounts, but not a difficult fabrication.

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

Jack,
              Point taken.
              New springs would be better solution.
              Eaton Detroit Spring can make new springs. They gave me a quote of $319.00 plus shipping
              for front springs on my 53' 2R5 with a 2" drop.

http://www.eatonsprings.com/

Comment

Working...
              X