No announcement yet.

Temperature gauge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo / Tach / Gauges: Temperature gauge.

I am going to remove the Ammeter on my 1957 Silver hawk, as it is defective and replace it with a voltmeter. This means I will have to remove the "box" that holds it in and that will require me to replace the temp gauge as well, even though it works.

What I need to know is will the Studebaker temp sending unit work with a new after market temp gauge. Thanks
    Last edited by aftontrix; 06-02-2011, 01:01 PM.

Probably NOT accurately, but you would have to consult the Aftermarket Gauge Mfg. for the correct Ohm's needed or a sending unit to match.

I do not see why you could not modify the lighting to work with one New gauge and one old gauge.
    Most aftermarket Gauges are directly lit, and Stude. are indirectly lit with "windows".

I hope you do understand that replacing a Ammeter with a Volt Meter is not a "bolt in" job, it requires complete re-wiring as Volt meters do not monitor incoming vs outgoing Power, they just need to be on line anywhere.
    It is VERY rare for an Ammeter to fail, but when it happens, they ARE readily available!

IMHO they are a useless device, since you never know if you have Generator/Alternator output, until it's too late and the Batt. is too DEAD to start the engine.
    A SLOW GRADUAL drop of a Volt or two, is NOT much of a noticeable change on a Volt Meter (BUT IT DOES INDICATE A TOTAL LOSS OF CHARGE!), but the cause of that result would have been IMMEDIATELY noticed on an Ammeter when it occurred, NOT after it killed the Batt.!
    Last edited by StudeRich; 06-02-2011, 01:12 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Studerich,

My problem is the "BOX" that holds the temp and amp gauge in. No problem with the lighting. The Box will not work with the new volt gauge. That means if the "box goes", which it must, the temp gauge also must go. I do not mind changing the two gauges, but I do not want to change the sending unit if avoidable. Do you know the ohms the old sender operates at? Thanks
      Last edited by aftontrix; 06-02-2011, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Studerich,

I have been driving new cars since 1964 and they all had Voltmeters and I had no problems. Obviously the auto manufacturers think Voltmeters are the way to go.

As far as rewiring goes, one of the Ammeter wires had a "spade" connector on it and the nut on the post was loose from some PO working on it. The wire came loose and shorted out melting my wiring harness. I also noticed the ammeter is now sitting on the plus side even with the battery disconnected. It was never that way before. It is probably bad now and I will not chance using it. I am now rewiring everything and installing a volt meter is easier to install then buying and rewiring a new ammeter. A volt meter will meet my needs.

I thought about buying a new wiring harness for $330 and decided against it as I might screw up and burn it up too. It is best to just replace the burned wires one at a time. I am not concerned about originality. Thanks for your input.

Comment

A VOLTmeter before 1990? Are you kidding?
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
          X