Negative amp gauge reading after engine shut off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Negative amp gauge reading after engine shut off

I have experience a dead battery a couple of times after running the engine. Looking at the amp gauge after shutting down I find that it indicates neg. 30 amps . In checking this out I find that the field terminal on the generator is showing 6 V with the ignition shut off. Experimenting I found that if I tap the voltage regulator, the voltage will drop to 0. My assumption is that there is a contact in the voltage regulator that is sticking. This problem is not constant, but just often enough to leave me with a dead battery if I leave the car for a while.
    Thanks for your help.
    73, Jim

Until you can either get a new voltage regulator or have yours repaired by a knowledgeable mechanic I suggest you pull the battery cable, before your car burns down to the ground! And if you are parking it inside your garage at home your home's safety is in jepardy too!
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Thanks Frank, that is how I look at it. I have disconnected the battery and have a voltage regulator on the way.
      I only connect the battery when I am working on it. If I am not there it is disconnected.
      73, Jim

Comment

I had a problem with my car battery going dead. i bought a disconnect switch that i mounted on my battery; it is a klnife switch that i undo every time i park the car for more than a day. i bought it in Durham at a autio parts store when i was visiting, you ought to be able to buy one at your local supplier. helps to prevent theft, too [i hope]. much easier than removing the battery cable.

alan

Comment

Thanks, Alan, I have done that. It sure helps keep the lid on things.
          73, Jim

Comment

Latest update. I installed a new voltage regulator per mfg. instructions, Polarized it and then started the engine. Amp meter shows no charging. If I turn on the lights it shows discharge. I tried to check the generator by disconnection the field terminal and grounding that post on the generator. Still no charge.
            Before replacing the regulator the amp meter showed good charging when engine was running. Problem was the regulator was sticking and showed a discharge when engine was off. I opened the old regulator and found one of the springs had broken. What can I check next?
            Thanks. 73, Jim

Comment

Are sure that the generator is not burned up from the regulator being stuck. I know if the regulator is stuck it can put voltage back into the generator and burn it up real fast. I have seen this happen on Fords with 6 volt positive ground more then once.

Comment

Wayne has a good thought. At one point I had a link to an autolite regulator troubleshooting document but it seems to be dead. I did find this which might help:
                http://www.cubcadetman.com/content/i...tor-&Itemid=53

I would pop the cover off the new regulator and make sure it is in good condition inside too. Might be as simple as a cold solder joint or a broken spring.

Nathan

Comment

Well, all is well. I took the cover off the old regulator and examined it closely. Guess what? I found that the PO had place the cover backwards and I had attached the 3 wires per my misconceived idea of the correct terminals. Of course, the generator would not work if the battery and armature lead were reversed. Correcting this little problem, and a short prayer, I started the engine and glory be the amp meter showed that it could still charge!
                  Friday's project is to replace the fuel line from the left front of the frame to the fuel pump, it started to leak yesterday.
                  My thanks to all for your help. What a great group of people we have here.
                  73, Jim

Comment

Working...
                  X