• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawklover
    replied
    Also an option is 215X70X15
    Originally posted by beatnik64 View Post
    This all kinda depends,

It you want original "studebaker correct" kinda stuff, then you would want a bis-ply Firestone 6.70-15 with about a three inch white wall (can be bought at vintage tire stores like Coker Tire for about $130 each). However these were options by most standards. Most base model Studebakers would have been sent out with black wall tires. (again can be bought thru vintage tire stores) With either tire you don't have to get Firestone.. the BF Goodwrich and U.S Royals are often cheaper and just as good... hell I run the BF's and love'em

If you would like a modern radial tire you can go with either a 205-75-15 or 215-75-15, they are not offered in as many white wall options but I run a Firestone 215-75-15 with a one inch white wall on my daily driver 64 daytona 4dr.. and it looks and handles great...

All in all you gotta get what you like, the tires and wheels can make and break some cars (haha no pressure) IMO i love white walls and all my cars with exception of one run them... i say get the white walls

BTW: I'm sure you know, but in some cases Bis-ply tires don't handle as well as Radial tire,

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    The important thing is the SIZE is correct: 6.40/6.50 X15

The originals would have been Firestone, and a few were U.S. Royal, not that it matters now.

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    Originally posted by Lark_Lady View Post
    Hi!
    I need to change the tires on my '61 4 doors Lark.
    I still have the original spare tire in the trunk that says: "6.50-15 low profile Dominion Royal Safety 8 tubeless 4 ply"
    What would be the equivalent in today's tire size? (can't find those exact numbers)
    Also, what would be the original size of the white wall that was coming out of the shop back then?
    Thanks!
    Lark Lady
    I do not believe that is an "original spare", unless your car was orginally built outside of the USA.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    P215X75R15 Tires on a 4 1/2 inch wide Rim...NOT GOOD!

What Beatnik64 said, BUT a P215X75R15 is too wide for a 4 1/2 inch stock Studebaker Wheel, it would be a better fit on some Ford or Dodge 5 on 4 1/2 inch bolt pattern, 5 1/2 inch wide X 15 inch wheels, or the P205X75R15 Tire is a better fit, still on the limit of a
    4 1/2 inch wide wheel though, CAUTION, a split rim could result!

Leave a comment:

• beatnik64
    replied
    This all kinda depends,

It you want original "studebaker correct" kinda stuff, then you would want a bis-ply Firestone 6.70-15 with about a three inch white wall (can be bought at vintage tire stores like Coker Tire for about $130 each). However these were options by most standards. Most base model Studebakers would have been sent out with black wall tires. (again can be bought thru vintage tire stores) With either tire you don't have to get Firestone.. the BF Goodwrich and U.S Royals are often cheaper and just as good... hell I run the BF's and love'em

If you would like a modern radial tire you can go with either a 205-75-15 or 215-75-15, they are not offered in as many white wall options but I run a Firestone 215-75-15 with a one inch white wall on my daily driver 64 daytona 4dr.. and it looks and handles great...

All in all you gotta get what you like, the tires and wheels can make and break some cars (haha no pressure) IMO i love white walls and all my cars with exception of one run them... i say get the white walls

BTW: I'm sure you know, but in some cases Bis-ply tires don't handle as well as Radial tire,

Leave a comment:

• 9echo
    replied
    I found this site helpful in choosing tires for my 48 Starlight coupe.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...sionchart.html

Good luck.

73, Jim

Leave a comment:

• Lark_Lady
    started a topic Wheels / Tires: Original tire size & white wall size

Original tire size & white wall size

Hi!
    I need to change the tires on my '61 4 doors Lark.
    I still have the original spare tire in the trunk that says: "6.50-15 low profile Dominion Royal Safety 8 tubeless 4 ply"
    What would be the equivalent in today's tire size? (can't find those exact numbers)
    Also, what would be the original size of the white wall that was coming out of the shop back then?
    Thanks!
    Lark Lady
Working...
X