Bolt on, replacement wheels for Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels / Tires: Bolt on, replacement wheels for Hawk

Yes, I used the Search feature,But nothing I found answers my question exactly... That plus my "a.d.d." kicked in!

I have a 1962 Hawk with standard non-power non-disk brakes. I want to replace the standard narrow 15 inch rims presently on the car with a more modern, wider 15 inch rim that I can use the full wheel hubcaps I have that came with the car. Since I plan on going hunting in the local wrecking yard, what year, make and model car am I looking for to replace the old rims?

Merci!!
    Laisez le bon temps roulez avec un Studebaker

I'm quite happy with the '02 4-WD Ford Ranger wheels I found. They are 6" wide, accept full wheel covers well and fit fine without extra spacers on my '55, but I can't use my fender skirts, they're just a bit too wide. I'm running 215 75's on them.

Edit: Yes, use Ford lug nuts, they have a broader angle than the original Studebaker nuts and match the form of the Ford wheels.
    Last edited by Tom Bredehoft; 05-30-2011, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom B View Post
      I'm quite happy with the '02 4-WD Ford Ranger wheels I found. They are 6" wide, accept full wheel covers well and fit fine without extra spacers on my '55, but I can't use my fender skirts, they're just a bit too wide. I'm running 215 75's on them.
      Any tricks with large lug nuts or hub centering rings required?

Comment

Use the Ford lugs NOT the Studebaker lugs, which are too small!! Also, besides the Ranger, the Ford 15 x 6 rims before 1993? on full size Ford Ltd and Mercury Grand Marquis also work. I'm hesitant about the dates because the Ford steel wheels I got were listed up to 1992 from an aftermarket supplier (Canadian Tire) but I've seen comments here up to 97 for Mercury, but this might have been in relation to some of the fancy alloy wheels, and might have been 15 x 6.5
        Last edited by Jim B PEI; 05-30-2011, 05:47 PM.

Comment

I'm using the 15" Ford wheels that can be found at most U Pull It type wrecking yards. I like them there cuz they are cheap. About $10 for each wheel. You can call me particular, but I happen to like the style of these wheels compared to the Dodge wheels of the same era. If you look at the front wheels in my signature picture, you can see the difference. Its not a huge change, but it matters to me. And definitely use the Ford lug nuts. Much better than the originals. Nice large "shoulder" on the nut to get a better bite on the wheel.
          Attached Files
          sals54

Comment

Mine are Ford Ranger 15x6. I paid $100.00 fro 4 and it included the chrome rings.

Comment

Working...
            X