electric fuel pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: electric fuel pump

I'm looking for a good place to mount a carter vane style electric pump on my 63 Hawk.
    the only place in the rear is on the same bracket as the exhaust, I'm not comfortable with that any where else along the frame it hangs below the frame. Here is my question, so why can't I mount it up front and low?

everything I read says to mount a electric pump as near to the tank as possible
    Mark Riesch
    New Bern, NC

Short Answer is electric pumps push fuel,they do not suck fuel like a mechanical pump.I have an electric pump mounted on my 62 GT on the inside of the frame where the frame kicks up.
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Originally posted by TXmark View Post
      I'm looking for a good place to mount a carter vane style electric pump on my 63 Hawk.
      the only place in the rear is on the same bracket as the exhaust, I'm not comfortable with that any where else along the frame it hangs below the frame. Here is my question, so why can't I mount it up front and low?

everything I read says to mount a electric pump as near to the tank as possible
      Mark

The closer the better but what you really want is the pump lower than the pickup to use the gas in the tank as a pressure head to feed the pump. Electric pumps are noted for not having great pulling power but realistically they have some.

The Carter has way more capacity than your 289 will use so I would go forward until you find a spot that you feel is protected but lower than the pickup. I would also go to 3/8 fuel line, from the tank to the pump, if not so already to be sure there is minimum resistance.

My 83 Avanti has the pump mounted just behind the front wheel openings and feeds a lot more fuel that your 289 will use. But also, The Avanti tank, however, is higher and can provide a larger pressure head.

You can also then add the filter and a shutoff valve to change the pump or filter without needing to empty the tank by moving it forward.

Bob

Comment

When you install an electric fuel pump, make sure the hose you use is rated for that use and can withstand the pressure...regular fuel line isn't made for being pressurized.
        Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

TX -

You've answered your own question...as near the tank as possible. As far as height...as low as you can. At least at tank level is best.
          I used an aluminim plate that I bolted to the frame flange and set the fuel pump right at the bottom of the tank.
          I put a large canester filter and the pump both on this plate.

I also used rubber between the plate and the frame and the pump and the plate. The pump can still be heard, but the interior noise is very light because of the insulation.

Mike

P.S. - Normal "fuel line" rubber hose IS pade for pressure, so no problems there, but all rubber should be replaced with fresh anyway.
          Last edited by Mike Van Veghten; 05-28-2011, 09:03 AM.

Comment

P.S. - Normal "fuel line" rubber hose IS made for pressure, so no problems there, but all rubber should be replaced with fresh anyway.
            Yes, Mike is correct in that all fuel lines are safe for the no-more-than-10-PSI a carbureted system should ever see.

When you install an electric fuel pump, make sure the hose you use is rated for that use and can withstand the pressure...regular fuel line isn't made for being pressurized.
            Yes, Bruce is correct, but only when one is switching a carbureted system to an EFI system which holds 40-PSI-and-up in the lines all the time the engine is running. EFI requires a better-quality fuel line to withstand the higher pressure.

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

Bob touched on this, and I agree. Those rotary-vane pumps have more capacity than the engine needs. You may have to install a fuel pressure regulator to prevent the pump from overwhelming the needle and seat in the carb. My preference is to use one of the impulse-type pumps. They react to demand.
              Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Working...
              X