Wider wheels that will allow "baby" stude caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels / Tires: Wider wheels that will allow "baby" stude caps

Just bought a '64 Commander that will ultimately go to my older son.

Are there any steel wheels out there that are a touch wider than the stock ones that will allow the use of Stude "baby" caps?

(I apologize in advance if this subject has already been beaten to death!!...I am a new guy.)

Thanks,

Doug Bowen
    sigpicGood judgment is the result of experience; ...experience is the result of bad judgment.

No, Doug; there aren't. This has been an ongoing problem.

Welcome aboard! BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Doug, try this - go online to MACPEK.com and find out who their nearest distributor is to you. Then find out if that distributor can get wheel number 40709. These are OEM steel wheels for Crown Vics and are 6" wide. I have a set and measured them as 11" from nub to nub for small hubcaps. The wheels themselves will bolt up but I don't know how much of a measurement from nub to nub for your baby caps.
      Peter Bishop
      Director,
      Northeast Zone

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Bowen View Post

Are there any steel wheels out there that are a touch wider than the stock ones that will allow the use of Stude "baby" caps?

(I apologize in advance if this subject has already been beaten to death!!...I am a new guy.)

Thanks,

Doug Bowen
        Doug

I would think you could have the Stude centers put into wider rims. The problem would be finding someone locally and the cost. I know Stockton Wheel did a ton of them over the years in Calif but I think they are gone. A google search should find someone or ask the question on the HAMB.

And WELCOME!!

Bob

Comment

What is the problem with the smaller Stude hub caps fitting the Ford wheels? Is it because the "nubs" are too far (Stude cap too small in diameter?) apart?
          Or because the Stude cap is larger than the "nubs" on the Ford wheels?
          If the latter is the case, why couldn't the "nubs" be welded up to a larger size to hold the Stude caps?
          Inquiring minds want to know!!!
          George King
          Grants Pass, Oregon
          64 Station Wagon with fixed roof (Canadian Car)

66 Station Wagon with fixed roof. Project car, complete For Sale...

64 Wagonaire sliding roof South Bend car. For Sale...

63 GT Hawk

51 Champion Starlight Coupe For Sale...

Comment

In the case of my Lark, the later model Ford steel rims have no nubs at all. The later Crown Vic wheels all had full size wheel covers, so Ford stopped putting the nubs for the dog dish hub caps on the steel rims.
            1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
            1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
            1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
            1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Thanks guys...I kinda figured this would be the case. I would guess that the only GOOD way of doing this would be as Bob suggests...i.e.-find some wheel repair outfit to weld the Stude centers into the desired rims. Thanks to all.

Doug
              sigpicGood judgment is the result of experience; ...experience is the result of bad judgment.

Comment

Thanks guys...I kinda figured this would be the case. I would guess that the only GOOD way of doing this would be as Bob suggests...i.e.-find some wheel repair outfit to weld the Stude centers into the desired rims. Thanks to all.

Doug
                Someone here on the forum centered the hubcaps then drilled and tapped 3 or 4 small holes through the cap into the wheel and used flat screws to hold the cap. It looked very nice in the pics. Steve
                sigpic

Comment

Thanks,

Doug Bowen
                  An option that nobody has mentioned is possible cutting slots in the center of the rim and using the clips for the early style dog dishes. I've seen it done but don't know if they would work for '64 style dog dishes. But ultimately I do want to use Stude dog dishes on my 15x7" MoPar police car wheels.

nate
                  --
                  55 Commander Starlight
                  http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

There are shops that can section your rims to widen/narrow them. I'm sure it's pricey, but that will give you exactly the offset/width that you want.

-David

Comment

Stockton Wheel Service is alive and well.

www.stocktonwheel.com

EDIT: Looks like things are on hold on their website due to new ownership. Uh oh.
                      Last edited by kurtruk; 05-27-2011, 08:51 AM.
                      KURTRUK
                      (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                      X