Ignition electrical question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Ignition electrical question

I am installing a new universal ignition switch. While transferring the three wires from the "Batt" post of the old switch to the new, I noticed the other end of one of the wires was not connected to anything. Two of the "ring " connectors wires went into the harness. The third " ring" connector has a "spade" connector on the end of a wire about ten inches long which was not connected to anything.

I do not know if I accidentally pulled it off of something or if it was never connected to anything and just tucked in someplace where it did not short out.

Can anyone tell me if they have three wires attached to their "Batt" post and if so where where this short wire hooks up. Thanks

Sad to hear that you are going to ruin the surface of the dash with the aftermarket NUT, instead of the correct Bezel.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Studerich,
      It already has a NUT. The correct Bezel will not fit a "universal" switch which is what is currently in it. I am just replacing a defective one. No need to start trying to replace all of the parts with pure Studebaker as that gets expensive.

Comment

OK, I can see that the short wire from the "Batt" post on the ignition goes to the Ammeter but I do not know which post. It pulled loose from one of them. The ammeter nut on the post closest to the drivers door is a little loose. It probably pulled loose from there but I am not sure. Can anyone confirm which post I should connect this wire to? Thanks

Comment

The wire from the ignition switch to the ammeter goes to the terminal with two other wires on it. The other one has only one wire, coming from the generator/regulator.

Comment

Louie, what year is your car?

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

TomB, Thanks for the info. That fits with the loose nut on one post.

Showbizkid,
              It is a 1957 Silver hawk. It looks good but a lot of mechanical problems. I have had it several months now. Hope to drive it soon.

Comment

Cool! If you haven't found 'em yet, wiring diagrams are posted on Chuck Collins' site, over here.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Showbizkid,

Thanks for the info. I am trying to repair some burned wires. I see that the one connector you referred to on the Ammeter actually has three wires connected to it. This is in line with the wiring diagram you sent me. However, I am not too good at visualizing what I am looking at.

The way it is currently wired, I have a wire from the battery side of the starter solenoid to the drivers side post on the ammeter. Then the short wire jumps from that post to the "batt" post on the ignition. The other side of the Ammeter (passenger side) has one connector which connects to three wires. One of these wires was burned. I think it connected to either the "Batt side of the starter switch or the other side of the Ammeter (either way, wouldn't you have the same connection?). I am sorry to say but I forgot where I removed it from. I am almost positive I took it off of the other post on the ammeter. If so, the two sides of the ammeter being connected together confuses me. That wire is only about a foot long so it has to connect to one of these points. Can you remember where this short wire goes? Thanks
                  Last edited by aftontrix; 05-29-2011, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Sorry, I'm no help here since my car is a Lark But maybe someone here with the proper year Hawk can say?

Comment

Working...
                    X