No announcement yet.

White smoke???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is without question smoke, not steam. It's always very short though, just a woosh of smoke and then it's gone. The electrical system is 100% with new wires and a fuse block, so I don't think it's electrical. All the Climatizer stuff is out of the car at the moment with the ports on the block shut off. The only spot where antifreze is runing is between the engine and radiator, and when I put new hoses on it, I gave them a super tight seal so they wouldn't leak.
    A friend of mine who had a '39 suggested it was from the road draft tube, but I'm not sure?
    Chris Dresbach

Comment

White Smoke...? Sounds like brake fluid to me. I don't have a clue where a master cylinder is located on a 40 but I would check to see if any brake fittings are near the exhaust pipes. While in South Bend I was surprised how long it took for the brake fluid to burn out of my Hawks engine when the Vacuum sucked brake fluid from my hydrovac. A small amount a brake fluid makes a lot of white smoke.

Burnt electrical has a very distinct smell. If you don't know what burnt electrical smells like, hook up a coiled up piece of wire to a battery and watch it go up like a fuse... you will never forget the smell.

Allen
      1964 GT Hawk
      PSMCDR 2014
      Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
      PSMCDR 2013
      Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

you have definately had some brain freeze from them MN winters
        Originally posted by aarrggh View Post
        squirrel under hood smoking a ciggy ?

Mark Riesch
        New Bern, NC

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post
          This is without question smoke, not steam. It's always very short though, just a woosh of smoke and then it's gone. The electrical system is 100% with new wires and a fuse block, so I don't think it's electrical. All the Climatizer stuff is out of the car at the moment with the ports on the block shut off. The only spot where antifreze is runing is between the engine and radiator, and when I put new hoses on it, I gave them a super tight seal so they wouldn't leak.
          A friend of mine who had a '39 suggested it was from the road draft tube, but I'm not sure?
          Then it's absolutely an appariton or ghost. Light a candle and tell the ghost that it is okay to go to the light and leave this world!! HAR! HAR! Just kidding. No it really does sound like smoke, Good Luck.

Comment

My wife's 95 Chrysler would occasionally puff white smoke out of the steering column. We had a time locating the source. In that case it turned out to be a coil of wire in the multifunction switch that had a break that made contact at certain times. (like parking facing downhill) I can't think of anything on a car like yours that would cause this. I still don't know what the white smoke was. Maybe some kind of lubricant getting hot?
            "In the heart of Arkansas."
            Searcy, Arkansas
            1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
            1952 2R pickup

Comment

Does it happen when you turn the steering wheel? Could be a short in the horn wiring? 52-Fan could be onto something. A local legend (R.I.P.) had a Model A with a missing floor board. He was stuck in traffic and had to leak so he let her go through the floor. It hit the hot manifold and he had to abandon the car 'til the stench cleared.
              Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

The smoke will appear when ever it wants to really... It usually happens when I slow way down and turn, but it has happened when I slow down to stop at a red light. I'm not sure there are wires in the steering column anymore. Somebody put a horn switch under the dash and my horn button is semi stuck. (There are some things on my car that I can't even begin to understand why they were done. ) The master cylinder on '39 and '40 Champions (and various other early models) are directly under the floor on the driver side and are accesed by a removible plate on the floor. It's a strange feature as the only weather seal is what you put on top of it!
                Chris Dresbach

Comment

I have a 41, and there is a small overflow tube from the carb hanging down, mine rests just above the manifold, could it be that when you come down the revs a small amount of fuel overflows on to the manifold?

Comment

Originally posted by bige View Post
                    Had a 1960 Ranchero that would fill the cabin with road draft smoke to a point that people would honk and wave at stop lights to tell me the car was on fire!

Good suggestion, if it's not the squirrel.

ErnieR
                    Had a Corvair station wagon once. The push-rod tube seals had evaporated, allowing a goodly amount of oil to sashay onto the exhaust manifolds. Wasn't so bad when you were moving because the wind blew the oil smoke away. But at a stop sign, too many times I heard--"Hey, your Corvair's on fire!" I'd just smile and wave, ignored it until one day, I was driving, not stopped. A guy passed me, "Hey, your Corvair's on fire!" I looked back and it was!

This was the middle of winter and the car was full of family going Christmas shopping. We pulled to the curb, all 4 doors burst open like they had exploded and we piled out, the smoke curling up from around the engine compartment lid in the rear. We all grabbed some snow and put out the fire. Believe it or not, even tho most of the wires looked pretty raggedy, the car would still start, run and drive. (Don't make 'em like THAT any more! Ask any Fiero owner!)

We were getting back into the car, when just about that time here roared a fire truck, screeching around the corner, lights flashing, bells ringing, siren blaring. Pulled up behind the car, 3 guys jumped out like Keystone cops, one with a fire extinguisher. We had already closed the car but he insisted that we open it to prove the fire was out. No sooner did I lift the engine lid, and even tho it was obvious the fire was out, he blasted everything with some kind of powdery white stuff, covering everything in the engine compartment.

Hey—what'd you do THAT for? I told you the fire was out.”

Just doing our job. Had to be sure.”

How'd you know about the fire anyway?”

One of the people who live around here saw the smoke and called us. Merry Christmas!”

They all toddled back into their fire truck and barreled around the next corner, lights, bells and siren still doing their duty.

We're standing there in the snow, breathing frost, looking at each other, slightly taken aback by our recent adventure. My grandmother piped up, “They sure must love that siren!” That broke the lethargic spell and we piled back into the car, did our shopping and had a GREAT Christmas!

But every year after that, when we celebrated Christmas at my grandparent's home, my grandmother would slyly ask, “Hey, ya caught any more Corvairs on fire, recently?”

John
                    Last edited by Johnnywiffer; 05-27-2011, 02:09 PM.

Comment

while you're searching for the source of the smoke, tighten the nit on your pressure gaiuge; mine loosened and leaked oil onto the floor.

I had a fire too, when my transmission hose rubbed aghainst some metal and created a hole that srayed transmission fluid on my exhuast pipe. I put out the fire with freon, and drove some more until it vaught fire again. i put out the fire and taped the hose to stop the spray, but it caught fire twice more on the way home. Each time i would stop and spray. after i got home i got new hoses and put them on. yes, there were fire trucks once; and i passed in front of a fire station one block from my house, smoke pouring out from under the truck as i tried to make it the final blosk. Nothing was fdamaged.

Comment

Working...
                      X