White smoke???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: White smoke???

This has only happened to me a couple times, but what would cause white smoke to occasionally come inside from behind the dash on my '40? The two times it happeded to me before, it happened when I came down from speed to low RPM (to make a turn) and white smoke would come in! The engine dosen't run funny or quit or anything! No fires, the electric is good, no big oil leaks anywhere... The smoke is gone before I can open the hood to find where it's coming from. What would cause this?
    Chris Dresbach

White smoke is antifreeze, usually. It is also possible DOT 3 brake fluid dripping on something hot, but this is unlikely.

Comment

I had that same thing happened on my Champion-powered '59 truck once.. Never did figure it out!

In my case I had made a 5 mile trip down the highway wide open and the smoke appeared when I came to a stop. I'm sure there's a simple explanation.
      Last edited by mbstude; 05-24-2011, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Does the white smoke happen when Instrument lights, Heater or Defroster are on? That could be dirt or dust burning off of the Resisters on the switches.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

squirrel under hood smoking a ciggy ?

Comment

Assuming you have a heater I would look to the heater core if you don't have a heater I'd go with the squirrel.

ErnieR

Comment

I had some steam coming out the radiator overflow tube last week when the thermostat got to acting up again.

How far below the filler neck do you keep the coolant level when cold?
              How often do you add coolant?

Comment

I vote for the squirrel.

Oh, wait, it's not election day.....never mind.
                Bez Auto Alchemy
                573-318-8948
                http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Gotta love that critter,my Daughter and I laughed for a bit.
                  Originally posted by aarrggh View Post
                  squirrel under hood smoking a ciggy ?

Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

At least an inch. when the coolant heats up, it will increase in volume almost a quart, increasing the pressure 7 psi.

How often? Aside from times I've drained things down, not at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom B View Post

At least an inch. when the coolant heats up, it will increase in volume almost a quart, increasing the pressure 7 psi.

How often? Aside from times I've drained things down, not at all.

Ooops, sorry I wasn't very clear.

I was directing those two questions to Chris D. , but that's good info to posts especially with the summer time driving ahead.

Comment

Smoke or steam? I had a coolant leak under the dash from the valve for the heater that was intermintent. Sure looked like smoke when you're trying to watch the road and see where the "smoke" was coming from! A quick whiff and it smelled like antifreeze.
                        Last edited by Son O Lark; 05-25-2011, 01:55 AM.

Comment

White smoke under a dash could mean a wire shorting, but once a wire shorts, it usually doesn't let go of what it is shorted to.
                          Jamie McLeod
                          Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
                          1958 Commander "Christine"
                          1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
                          1955 Commander Sedan
                          1964 Champ
                          1960 Lark

Comment

Oil smoke is blueish-white. Perhaps after a hard run this is blow-by smoke from your road draft tube that has filtered up into the car.

Comment

Originally posted by 31Streetrod View Post
                              Oil smoke is blueish-white. Perhaps after a hard run this is blow-by smoke from your road draft tube that has filtered up into the car.
                              Had a 1960 Ranchero that would fill the cabin with road draft smoke to a point that people would honk and wave at stop lights to tell me the car was on fire!

Good suggestion, if it's not the squirrel.

ErnieR

Comment

Working...
                              X