No announcement yet.

Stromberg runs rich when warm.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Stromberg runs rich when warm.

I have a 55 259 with a side draft 2 bll Stromberg. Starts well, but when the engine gets up to temp, it runs rich and will flood easily. Runs a little on the warm side, too. Wondering if it may be a stuck heat riser. Any one else have this problem? Thanks, guys.
    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

I've had trouble with loading up on later Strombergs mostly due to float sticking. Add a little diesel or Mystery oil to the gas tank and it will help that problem...otherwise you're looking at a float level adj. or needle valve cleaning.....Also, recently I had a pinhole in my float......always sunk and opened the valve.....

Comment

Unless you know the coolant passages have been cleaned, you can't dismiss this as the cause of running warm. Crud piles up in the back of the block, restricting the coolant flow near the heat sensor.

Verify that you choke is fully open when warm, it could be running at partial choke.

Comment

Thanks, Jack. I'll start there, for sure. I have a great 6v battery and 00 cables. Sure helps to restart it when it does flood.

Comment

The block was tanked and cleaned out before a total rebuild. I'll check the choke, Tom.

Comment

Seems it was running rich cold, too. Shop next door warmed it up and the choke kicked off fine. It revs right up. First day out of storage it was running rich, too. Changed the plugs and blew out the needle and seat and it ran great for a while. Now running rich, again. I had a full tank and lots of Sta-Bill while stored for the winter. Just topped it off with $40 of Shell hi octane, no ethanol. Wouldn't want to drive it too far with a stuck choke, but if that's not the problem, maybe I should drive it and see if any miracles happen?

Comment

Alrighty, then. After the jets were leaned down I did a run on the 6 lane. Took it up to 75 mph on my speedo (reading less because of oversized tires) and cruised for 30 miles. Shut her down and left it for 30 minutes. Started right up and did another 30 miles back home. I'm thinking that overload of Sta-Bil has eventually been run through and the new gas makes it run leaner. Will keep you posted. Looks like it might make it to South Bend next May

Comment

Working...
              X