Worth saving?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Worth saving?

OK think tank...here's an easy one for all you experienced Studebaker-ers. I'm wondering if its worth the time to try to revive the fuel pump from my 52 Champion 6 or just get a new one. Not really sure how to test it since my Betty isn't running (and hasn't in 30 years). If it does work after testing, what's the best way to clean it? Ideas?
    Also, the same question would apply to other ancillary parts like the oil pump, etc.
    Do I bother using the old oil bath cleaner or swap it for something made in the last decade.
    As always, I bow to the knowledge contained within this forum.
    Thanks for helping one of the new generation of Studebaker-ers.
    Michael

T'were it me...
    I'd rebuild the carb and fuel pump with new (alcohol rated) rubber rebuild kits.
    I'd have a tank place (like Re-Nuz) prep the tank.
    And I would (gasp)....keep the oil bath air cleaner, and service it regularly (Clean the screen, change the oil and wipe out the housing).

Originally posted by spqr67 View Post
    OK think tank...here's an easy one for all you experienced Studebaker-ers. I'm wondering if its worth the time to try to revive the fuel pump from my 52 Champion 6 or just get a new one. Not really sure how to test it since my Betty isn't running (and hasn't in 30 years). If it does work after testing, what's the best way to clean it? Ideas?
    Also, the same question would apply to other ancillary parts like the oil pump, etc.
    Do I bother using the old oil bath cleaner or swap it for something made in the last decade.
    As always, I bow to the knowledge contained within this forum.
    Thanks for helping one of the new generation of Studebaker-ers.
    Michael
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Thanks! Never used an oil bath cleaner. Benefits vs standard cleaners?

Comment

Oil bath air cleaners were recommended for extremely dusty areas like yours rather than paper replacement filters.
        Frank van Doorn
        Omaha, Ne.
        1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
        1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
        1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Heh, heh... The oil bath filters were standard for many a decade...
          When Mt. St. Helens blew, the only thing that would run for a while were old oil bath air cleaners.

Originally posted by spqr67 View Post
          Thanks! Never used an oil bath cleaner. Benefits vs standard cleaners?
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Dwain Grindinger might post but if not, I'll relate what he said about air cleaners following the Mt. St. Helens volcano eruption in the 1980s.

That was in Dwain's neck of the woods, and he reported that vehicles with oil bath air cleaners did much better contending with the resulting ash in the air than did those with "normal" dry-element air filters.

Edit: Oops; I see the Jeffster beat me to it on the Mt. St. Helens observation. BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
            "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I hear Re-nuz is the ultimate way to go. I got an estimate for $450 and decided to do the Hirsch system myself. Cannot report on longevity of that system yet. It is a lot of work to clean a tank...
              1948 M15A-20 Flatbed Truck Rescue
              See rescue progress here on this blog:
              http://studem15a-20.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
              X