'49 Champ rear axle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: '49 Champ rear axle

My B-I-L is handy mechanically but has only recently become reacquainted with the Studebaker hobby in general. He is tearing into the rear brakes of his '49 Champ convertible and asked me to ask around about these concerns. He said he can move the rear axle around 1/8" which is making him think the bearings are shot. It looks like bearing parts for his car are available in SI's catalog, which is good, but he also asked if he can pull the axle out without taking the cover off the rear end. I have no idea.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice I can give him. He's located in NW PA.
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    (formerly Greenville, PA)
    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
    All are in Australia now

Yes, Bill; the bearings are worn if he can "move it around" an eighth inch!

There is no need to remove the rear axle (differential) cover to remove the rear axle shafts. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
      Yes, Bill; the bearings are worn if he can "move it around" an eighth inch!

There is no need to remove the rear axle (differential) cover to remove the rear axle shafts. BP
      Thanks Bob, I'll pass that on.
      Bill Pressler
      Kent, OH
      (formerly Greenville, PA)
      Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
      Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
      1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
      1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
      All are in Australia now

Comment

Working...
      X