Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Need fuel tank

Hello:
    New member here. I found a very complete 1940 Champion 4 door which was last driven in 1952 and parked under cover, along with the mice and spiders etc. A real honest to goodness barn find.
    I am presently performing a body-on restoration and my plan is to keep it all original but I'm in need of a couple of items and need some guidance.
    The fuel tank is completely rotted away on top and can't be resurrected without huge cost. Does anyone out there know of a good useable tank for this year or even a reliable source for a good after market replacement. The other item is a good source for a steering wheel or SW restoration or replacement.
    I'm not finding much on the 1940 Champion and was hoping to find someone who has this same model.
    I will be posting the restoration progress on my web-site: www.classicmilitaryautomotive.com under "Current Restorations".
    Thanks for your help and oh, by the way, Happy Rapture Day!
    Last edited by Barn Find; 05-22-2011, 04:37 PM. Reason: wrong information

If you could put a picture of your old tank up it would be helpful as I have two NOS fuel tanks available that are the same as my 41 Champion but don't know if 40's are the same. Is yours held on with 3 bolts, one in the front middle and 2 in the rear, all at the flange, with no straps ?
    Last edited by 41 Frank; 05-22-2011, 02:13 PM. Reason: additional info
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

For the steering wheel try:

http://www.shrockbrothers.com/steering_wheels.html
      KURTRUK
      (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Hi Frank:
        I'm not too sure how to post the pictures. I have plenty of pictures in a file on my computer that I can email you or you can go to my web-site and look under "Current Restorations" and scroll down to the pictures of the fuel tank.
        Is it possible for you to email me so that I can reply with the pictures? I think the 40 and 41 are the same tank so I'm very interested in what you have if your tanks are available.
        My email address is: gpajeep@yahoo.com
        Thanks
        Terry O'Connor

Comment

Hi Frank:
          I'm trying to reply again. Email me and I can send you pictures if that's not too much trouble.
          Thanks
          Terry
          gpajeep@yahoo.com

Comment

e-mail sent
            Frank van Doorn
            Omaha, Ne.
            1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed

Comment

Not sure on a Champion, but on Commander the fill tube is on the right side, and '41 on the left side of car.

Comment

Ebon, the 41 Champion has the filler tube on the drivers side.
                Originally posted by railway View Post
                Not sure on a Champion, but on Commander the fill tube is on the right side, and '41 on the left side of car.
                Frank van Doorn
                Omaha, Ne.
                1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed

Comment

The NOS fuel tank I offered to the poster has been purchased by him and will be making a trip to the Bay area of San Francisco.
                  Frank van Doorn
                  Omaha, Ne.
                  1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed

Comment

Thanks for all of your help Frank. This really helps me put one more classic Stude on road! Thanks for everyone's help above!
                    Also, and since we are in the tech section, it appears that the 40 vs the 41 Champion fuel tank is the same except for the angle and or design of the filler necks. My 40 fills from the drivers side.
                    No problem putting the 40 neck on the 41 tank. Just takes soldering it to the correct angle. Can't wait!
                    Last edited by Barn Find; 05-23-2011, 05:26 PM. Reason: forgot one more point

Comment

Barn,
                      Looks like a nice sedan. I would guess the overdrive is why it was parked. Shrock Bros. has all the correct molded plastic for your steering wheel, window cranks, and dash knobs. Not cheap but worth it. I am glad you found that tank. That old one was pretty far gone!

Nathan

Comment

Nathan: You are "Spot On" with that assessment of the over-drive. How did you guess that?!!!
                        The number one cylinder had a small chip out of the bottom piston skirt also. This car even had the original lead top battery in it along with all of it's original wiring.
                        I've started a new thread with pictures under the General Discussion forum. Check it out!
                        Thanks for looking.
                        Terry

Comment

Working...
                        X