Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remove serial plate without wrecking it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Remove serial plate without wrecking it?

Hey guys,

how is the serial plate for my '60 Lark attached to the post? I'm starting to do some of the sanding and grinding on the car, and I'd like to remove it while I work on my door posts.

Also, the decal on my serial plate is seriously worn. Is there a supplier of these decals?
    '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Jim, the plate is held on with several spot welds so removing it without bending it will not be possible. I just did this last week on one of my cars to put a new plate on. As far as I know decals are still available from "Bondo Billy"
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

it's welded. spot weld.

cover it with some duck tape....But before you do that, the black paint lettering is known to come off easily, I'd place some paper over that exact area with some scotch tape, then duck tape over that paper. And sand away. I know there are some water type decals that replicate the writing around the serial/I.D number but not 100% they are available for Larks. Wish I had done this before my car was blasted, I assumed the blaster would have covered it. Darn near blasted the numbers all the way off.

Good thinking to want to remove it, but if Larks serial number plates were removeable, I'd still suggest you leave it where it was. There are many stories of cars and pesky Highway patrol inspectors that notice tampered screws etc. Granted you would be keeping the car but you never know where it will be in a hundred years it may move out of state, and out of state retitling require local law enforcement to document serial numbers before issuing the new state's title.
      61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Yes, exactly. That is the VIN number and state motor vehicle departments and law enforcement get nasty about non-stock looking things on that plate. Some years ago I saw a photo book the local inspectors used, which had photos of all the VIN plates on various cars by model and year with what the rivets are supposed to look like (or welds where used.) The book also listed where the "secret" serial numbers are hidden under the car.

Comment

Mask around the plate, then say several coats of clear polyurethane, when completely dry you should be able to mask without lifting the lettering.

Comment

I carfefully masked with rubber electrical sealing vulcanizing tape. Then took it to the powder coaters, who then, after being warned, proceded to blast the living daylights out of it, totally destroying it. *^%#@&!+!!!
            Had a local trophy place engrave a new one and silk-screen lettering . Avantis are riveted on, so now, I take 'em off first.
            Lots of body shops have spot welders and could put a new one on (If your old one was destroyed)
            Bez Auto Alchemy
            573-318-8948
            http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Eh, I'll probably try to clean it up and just leave it. I've heard that the decal set for the plate can be purchased, is this correct? If so, I'll probably re-do that when the time comes. The car received a really cruddy Maaco/Earl Scheib-esque paint job at some point in it's past, and they mostly painted over the plate. I scraped a lot of that paint off, but it took a bunch of the decal with it. fortunately the engraved numbers still look okay and the plate itself looks good.
              '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Originally posted by JimC View Post
                Eh, I'll probably try to clean it up and just leave it. I've heard that the decal set for the plate can be purchased, is this correct? If so, I'll probably re-do that when the time comes. The car received a really cruddy Maaco/Earl Scheib-esque paint job at some point in it's past, and they mostly painted over the plate. I scraped a lot of that paint off, but it took a bunch of the decal with it. fortunately the engraved numbers still look okay and the plate itself looks good.
                The original serial numbers were stamped into the plate, not engraved.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                  The original serial numbers were stamped into the plate, not engraved.
                  That may be so,but,do you know where the correct fonts stamp is????? Engraving works fine for the serial numbers. Body numbers are a different matter though.
                  Bez Auto Alchemy
                  573-318-8948
                  http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                  X