Brake fluid dot 3 vs dot 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Brake fluid dot 3 vs dot 5

The body shop crushed my brake line under a body mount and it needed replaced (it was leaking). I took off the master cly, but don't know if it was filled with dot3 or dot5. It taste like dot 3, but how can you really tell??? I know they are not compatible. It is a 60 lark v8 car if that helps...master cly say use only dot 3, but does that hold true??? Once again confused in Colorado

Originally posted by meinekebfld View Post
    The body shop crushed my brake line under a body mount and it needed replaced (it was leaking). I took off the master cly, but don't know if it was filled with dot3 or dot5. It taste like dot 3, but how can you really tell??? I know they are not compatible. It is a 60 lark v8 car if that helps...master cly say use only dot 3, but does that hold true??? Once again confused in Colorado
    Pour some into Dot-3 fluid, shake it, and let it set. If it's mixed it's Dot 3 if you see a separation it's Dot 5.

Easy Peasy

Bob

Comment

So you know there are two kinds of DOT 5, I know it is stupid. so on a nut shell: Glycol-based (DOT 3, 4 and 5.1) should be compatible with each other and the other is Silicone-based (DOT 5). Here is a link with clear description of the subject: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brake_f...2C_4.2C_5.1.29

Hope this helps

Comment

Working...
      X