Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bige
    replied
    Glad you posted the resolution, I hate when an interesting problem is discussed and we never know the answer.

ErnieR

Leave a comment:

• aftontrix
    replied
    Thanks for all of the information. I found the answer to my problem. It is called stupidity! The instructions on the universal sender have you cut the rod with the float on it and the shaft with the resistor on it to lengths based on the depth of your tank. In my case, I measured the depth of the tank where the sender sits at 5 inches. I knew the tank was deeper at the midpoint of the tank. I could not measure the tank very accurately at that point so I estimated it at about seven inches. I then decided to use the average depth of 6 1/2 inches. I used the measurements for the rod and the shaft given in the chart included with the new sender.

I then compared the new sender float position with the float position on the old sending unit using these measurements and they were close so I cut the rod and shaft and screwed it together.

Obviously the provided chart measurements are for a tank with an even depth throughout. To compound my problem, I had compared the new one with the old one which I have decided might not have been a Studebaker sending unit as it had been bent a lot. I assumed this was to compensate for the cork floats sinking but I now think it was out of some other vehicle and was bent to reach the fuel level.

I was able to adjust the resistor down another 1/2 inch before running out of shaft and the float out another 1/4 inch before running out of rod. This caused the gauge to read slightly above empty. I now realized the float had never been touching the fuel level (1/4 tank) which caused my problem . I then had to bend the float rod down until the gauge now reads 1/4 tank. Had I left the rod about two inches longer, I would not have had to bend it down. Oh well, live and learn. Hopefully describing my stupidity will prevent someone else from doing the same thing.

Leave a comment:

• Flashback
    replied
    Is the sending unit grounded when in the open or bucket?
    If so, it may not be in tank. If it isn't, then it seems to quit
    when grounded. Wired Backwards?

Leave a comment:

• aftontrix
    replied
    The float is pointed in the right direction and it does not touch anything other than the cover where you put the screws in.

Leave a comment:

• Carl Purdy
    replied
    Have you got the float pointed in the right direction?

Leave a comment:

• bige
    replied
    Is there something, physically, that is touching the float, the arm or anything that would stop the travel. Does something bend or snag when it's tightened into the tank?

ErnieR

Leave a comment:

• aftontrix
    started a topic Fuel System: My mystery of the day

My mystery of the day

My old fuel tank sending unit sticks at 1/2 tank. I purchased a new universal gauge and sending unit as a set. It works perfect out in the open or in a bucket of water. The minute I put it in the tank it will not work. I use the old sending unit with the new gauge and it works down to 1/2 tank, the same as with the old gauge. Does anyone have any idea why it will work out in the open but stops when it touches the tank? I am using the same connections both in the tank and outside of the tank. thanks
Working...
X