• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• studebaker-R2-4-me
    replied
    Originally posted by mausersmth View Post
    Okay, now I got it.
    If you use the original drums in the back, they'll need a 10 lb. residual check valve.
    The Turner disks up front will need no check valve if you have a firewall mounted master. If the master is under the floor, you'll need a 2 lb. check valve.
    A proportioning valve will balance the system.

If you got the Bendix rear brakes from that Avanti and swapped them in, you could forget the 10 lb check on the rear line, and the need for the proportioning valve won't be so great, but parts to maintain those Bendix units are much more expensive then the stock Wagner made drums.

The Bendix #11515 master or the Cardone 10-1515 are the same, and they have the four hole mount needed to fit the booster from the Bendix disk brake booster. They won't fit a two hole mount.
    http://www.studebaker-info.org/tech/...kemasters.html
    The link above lists several two bolt masters. Jim Turner might help you pick one, but he'll need to know the year of car and the booster used.
    Thanks for the re-direction to Bob's site. I should have thought about going there for some good information. That jeep master cylinder has the 1" bore that Ernie suggested and the output ports are on the correct side for a clean installation. Thanks I'll email Jim Turner to see if some other master has come up that might be better for my application.

Allen

Leave a comment:

• mausersmth
    replied
    Okay, now I got it.
    If you use the original drums in the back, they'll need a 10 lb. residual check valve.
    The Turner disks up front will need no check valve if you have a firewall mounted master. If the master is under the floor, you'll need a 2 lb. check valve.
    A proportioning valve will balance the system.

If you got the Bendix rear brakes from that Avanti and swapped them in, you could forget the 10 lb check on the rear line, and the need for the proportioning valve won't be so great, but parts to maintain those Bendix units are much more expensive then the stock Wagner made drums.

The Bendix #11515 master or the Cardone 10-1515 are the same, and they have the four hole mount needed to fit the booster from the Bendix disk brake booster. They won't fit a two hole mount.
    http://www.studebaker-info.org/tech/...kemasters.html
    The link above lists several two bolt masters. Jim Turner might help you pick one, but he'll need to know the year of car and the booster used.

Leave a comment:

• studebaker-R2-4-me
    replied
    Originally posted by mausersmth View Post
    If I understand right, your Lark had the Bendix front disks. That system used no check valve. You would only need a check valve if you were swapping in any other rear drums. The Turner system (front or rear) needs no check valve unless the master is under the floor. (2 lb.)
    Sorry for the misunderstanding. My Lark is stock with front and rear drums. I bought a complete front Disk Brake Setup from an Avanti at Reedsville years ago for spare parts on my Hawk and I recently considered using the rotors and calipers on my Lark, so No my Lark never had disk brakes. The costs of buying Bendix crossover pipes and calipers tipped the scales towards the Turner System which would give the Lark better stopping power which has been marginal since we have owned it.

Basically I am starting over with the braking system. Rears will be using 7/8" wheel cylinders and 10' finned drums. Still have not decided on the master cylinder but I it has been suggested to use a proportioning valve on the rears to avoid lock up.
    Last edited by studebaker-R2-4-me; 05-13-2011, 05:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• bezhawk
    replied
    If he has the two hole booster and 10" brakes in the rear, then he has(had) Drum power brakes.
    I don't think the booster will be correct for disc brakes. They use much higher line pressures. I used a Tilton(sp) 15/16 two bolt master cylinder on my Avanti .(With an Adapter from Jegs (mopar)). The slightly smaller bore gives a little more pressure at the cost of a little more stroke (pedal travel). You may want to get a proportioning valve in the line to the rears if you get the correct booster. The disk brake systems on Studes used small (3/4") rear cylinders and non energizing brakes in order to prevent brake lock up with the higher booster pressures.

You may get away with the stock booster...You wont know 'till you try.
    Last edited by bezhawk; 05-13-2011, 05:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

• mausersmth
    replied
    If I understand right, your Lark had the Bendix front disks. That system used no check valve. You would only need a check valve if you were swapping in any other rear drums. The Turner system (front or rear) needs no check valve unless the master is under the floor. (2 lb.)

Leave a comment:

• Paul Keller
    replied
    Original Stude' disc system had the residual valve built into the M/C - Separate ones (one front, one rear) are rquired when replacing the M/C. Check w/ Mr Turner for the correct app. for your car.
    Paul TK

Leave a comment:

• bige
    replied
    You have a wide variety of choices with a two bolt mount master. This is what was found on some Avanti ll's

CARDONE SELECT Part # 131379 More Info Neww/Disc Brakes w/Power Brakes

You can also pick from a variety from Master Power Brakes.

If your installation would work better with outlets facing the engine look at mid 70's Fords.

Keep your bore at 1" for optimum pressure.

ErnieR

Leave a comment:

• New Master Cylinder decisions for Turner Brake System

I did not want to hijack the previous thread on Turner vs Bendix disk brake but it is certainly related.

I'm in the midst of making this Turner Disk Brake conversion for the Lark. I have a complete Bendix disk brake setup but the Bendix calipers were marginal and the costs of replacement tipped the scales for purchasing the Deluxe Turner system less the Master cylinder this last week at the South Bend swap.

I have a freshly rebuilt Lark power booster (2 hole mount) which I would like to use. Before purchasing the system Jim suggested via email a 1973 Chrysler Newport master- I believe the Bendix #11515 master or the Cardone 10-1515 is one and the same. Both masters are 4 hole mount. Does this 4 hole mount master fit the two hole mount power booster? If using the 2 hole mount power booster, stock 10" finned drums/ backing plates (from a Hawk) and the front Turner disks brakes is there a big enough master cylinder in a two hole mount configuration to make this new disk brake system work?

I'm somewhat confused with the need of residual valves in this system as well - where and when they are needed.

Allen
Working...
X