Master cylinder blown?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Master cylinder blown?

I was driving my '64 Commander the other day, and the brakes all of a sudden went all the way to the floor.
    I even pumped the pedal to see if I could get any kind of pressure but it just went to the floor.
    The car is full on brake fluid also,

I figured the master cylinder must have gone bad.

If anyone has any experience with my year and model of master cylinder or any information,advice,suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Even though it is full of fluid, you need to first check to make sure the car hasn't ruptured a steel brake line or flex hose under the car, or "blown" a wheel cylinder.

If all is dry there, then you may condemn the master cylinder. You simply have to get a new or rebuilt unit. Be sure to bench-bleed it thoroughly, per the instructions that will likely come with it, or you'll never get a suitable "pedal" in the car once installed. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Does anyone happen to know what exact master cylinder I can use?

1964 Studebaker Commander with Dual brake lines.

I just want to make sure I get the right one.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Comment

Hi If your car has the dual system the brakes should not have gone all the way to the floor , Partially yes but not all the way , Thats why you have a dual system if one half fails you still have the other half ,I have some master cylinders let me know if you have power or standard brakes , Ed , P.S check the linkage under the dash board

Comment

I have to disagree with you on this. If you have a dual system and half fails, you may have some pressure enough to get stopped but there will not be 50% of the pedal pressure available. You can test this by fully opening any bleed screw and see how much pressure you have. Half of the system open does not leave the other half functional.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyT View Post
            Does anyone happen to know what exact master cylinder I can use?

1964 Studebaker Commander with Dual brake lines.

I just want to make sure I get the right one.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Studebaker Intl has this:
            1964-66 Lark without power brakes. With split system 1561611 $135.95 There were a lot of different M/C depending on the brake system and car model, and whether you had power or not. ISTR that there were something like 7 for 63

I think this is what you need. Be thankful you have a 64 and not a 63, as the correct one for 63 for the same combo is getting rare and is currently a whopping $335.00!! I have a used one and a new AMC (same, except front/rear ports are backwards to the Studebaker, so you have to plumb differently) spare, just in case...At least for the 64, I have a reasonable choice from a dependable vendor..

Comment

Working...
            X