No announcement yet.

Rear axle bearing interchange?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: Rear axle bearing interchange?

About to do the rear axle on my '51 Commander. Am looking for bearings and cups equivalent to Studebaker numbers 530451 and 165167.

I checked Nate's list and there's nothing there. Anyone have a crossover number for Timken, SKF or...?
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10,
    '51 Commander Starlight,
    '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
    '56 Sky Hawk

I have not had to do this in a long time but, forget the Studebaker numbers. Take the bearing and bearing race (cup) to your local industrial bearing distributor (one with a sales counter for walk-in's). They should be able to match it with an available equivalent. Many of these bearings are standard for industrial (not just automotive) applications and still available.

Take good care of the race. They are more likely to be difficult to get.

The problem with old bearing races is that many of them were made specifically for the car manufacturers and although the proper taper to match the tapered roller bearing is available...a bearing race with the proper "outside" diameter may no longer be made.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

The tapered axle bearing are all the same up to 64, 14132T for cone and 14276 for the cup

Comment

Pull one out and check for numbers. Timken marks theirs...
        1948 M15A-20 Flatbed Truck Rescue
        See rescue progress here on this blog:
        http://studem15a-20.blogspot.com/

Comment

You can get them at Rockauto.
          BR14276 & 14132T
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X