Help Decipher Axle Markings 51 Champion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: Help Decipher Axle Markings 51 Champion

Good evening, all. I copied down all the markings from my 51 Champion axle, and did not see a clear guide on reading the housing or tag markings:

Raised numbers on the housing, 26
    On a metal tag, attached about 2:00 position: W 46
    On a larger tag: Hypoid Lub

Is this a Model 26? Can I tell what ratio this is from the information above?

This is a Champion with a DG-200 automatic, if that matters. When I get the transmission rebuilt, it will get a new governor, and I need to see what kind of gear(s) I might need for the speedo - had the speedo rebuilt, new cable core, still nothing. But with a later (1953) model transmission in it, I want to be sure to get the right speedo gear(s).

Regards,
    Clarence
    Virginia Beach

It is a 26. Divide the 46 by 13 and the ratio is 3.53.
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10,
    '51 Commander Starlight,
    '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
    '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Thanks, Rockne!

Regards,
      Clarence

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
        It is a 26. Divide the 46 by 13 and the ratio is 3.53.
        3.5384 would be more commonly though of as a 3.54. This was a common ratio used with automatics both 6 and V8 in the 50s, but was also available with standard and overdrive. I don't have books for the 26, but 3.54 was also used with the 23, 27, and 44.

Comment

Thanks, Jim. I shouldn't need books for it for now - it's working okay. I'll get to doing precautionary wheel /axle bearing and seal replacement later in the year, but
          I needed to match the gear ratio to the speedo gear chart. Especially important, since my auto trans is from a later year (late 53) and the DG-200 trans serial number
          says it was built to install in a 54 Hudson.

Comment

Working...
          X