read first, I wish i would have

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: read first, I wish i would have

I just intalled Derlin bushings in the front of my hawk. From what I have read after the fact, this was a mistake! my biggest complaint is that I have one bushing that squeaks. It does not squeak too bad cold but after a few miles it squeaks something awful. grease does not help. I'll call chuck collins later for a solution. But if anyone else has a solution please reply. I do notice that it handles better, and the ride is a liitle more harsh, but certainly not rough.

BTW I drove to the So. Central zone meet and back 1000 miles, it squeaked as bad or worse after. I was hopping it might wear a little and quit the squaek but no luck
    Mark Riesch
    New Bern, NC

A couple of things to try....

Try getting some bicycle chain lubricant to put on the bushings. Tri-Flow and White Lightning come to mind. They are both lightweight, penetrating lubricants with Teflon type material in suspension.

And then there is the Old School approach, which I learned back in the early 70's with my Hawk. Mix some graphite powder in a soap solution, shake well and apply with a spray bottle. Our neighbor and filling station owner kept a bottle around at his station just for squeaking bushings.

In both cases, the idea is to penetrate some lubricant in to the squeaky area.

Comment

I have 10,000 on mine without a peep. I had to install extended length grease fittings as the ones you get with the kit make it difficult to get a gun on the fitting(unless using a u-joint adapter) I also had the shorter version pop out of the bushing. Are you sure you don't have one moving in the A-arm?
      You might try greasing with weight off the car or perhaps pulling retainer and washer off the ends.

Comment

Originally posted by leyrret View Post
        I have 10,000 on mine without a peep. I had to install extended length grease fittings as the ones you get with the kit make it difficult to get a gun on the fitting(unless using a u-joint adapter) I also had the shorter version pop out of the bushing. Are you sure you don't have one moving in the A-arm?
        You might try greasing with weight off the car or perhaps pulling retainer and washer off the ends.
        No it is not turning in the control arm. It is an upper bushing, I can feel it vibrate when it squeaks. I'll probably take it apart and polish the shaft. It was pretty tight when I put it together. the control arm maybe bent from a previous improper repair
        Mark Riesch
        New Bern, NC

Comment

I don't know if this is applicable to Delrin or not, but this has worked for me with poly which I have installed on several (non-Studebaker) cars. The first time I used poly bushings it was on the front end of an old MoPar A-body; I used PST's "polygraphite" bushings and installed them exactly per the instructions, including roughing them slightly w/ sandpaper to release the impregnated graphite and slathering them with the included "gorilla snot" grease. They squeaked. Car rode and handled great, but enter a driveway at an angle and...

Next car I did was a VW Rabbit GTI, this time the only bushings available were plain poly (although a cool red color) with no impregnated graphite. Rather than greasing them, I roughed them up slightly and used powdered graphite liberally on the sliding surfaces - on the kitchen counter, I put a little graphite on, rubbed it around the bushing with my fingertip, inserted it in the control arm, worked it a couple times, removed it, lather rinse repeat until the moving surface of the bushing was a uniform pencil-lead color. THOSE bushings worked well and remained 100% squeak free for years - I ended up selling the car for cheap but as part of the deal kept my suspension including the control arms (it also had Koni yellows and H&R Sport springs) and installed them on an '84 Scirocco that replaced the GTI as my then-daily driver. They still weren't squeaking when I sold the car to Ron Dame years later...

nate
          --
          55 Commander Starlight
          http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Imagine two Nathans with GTIs and Studes... My GTI front suspension started "groaning" shortly after I installed an OEM bushing. The factory manual actually specified a spray lube to correct this. I can't remember if it was a graphite or moly but I found something similar at the FLAPS, squirted some into the bushing, and the problem never happened again over the 5+ more years I drove that car.

Comment

I can't believe that Delrin would squeak. I have had them at all four corners for years on other Studes and I installed rear bushings last year on my 59 and the bolts were so tight they were hot upon completion. Steel to steel will squeak. Delrin will not. Polyurethane will. Look for a steel to steel problem.

Sorry to be so abrupt and it is possible for Delrin to squeak. It depends on the grade of Delrin and if it is lubricated. I get mine from Australia and have used them for over 20 years with no squeaks and no problems with the bushings. The only bad result was a crack developed at the section of the chassis that is mentioned in other posts, inboard where the front cross-member meets the chassis rail, and needs to be gusseted if you plan to use the car on any surfaces like dirt roads any other hard driving situation. Outback Australia has very few paved roads.
              Last edited by Skybolt; 05-14-2011, 04:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X