Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

front end adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• front end adjustment

My '62 Champ's steering has gotten to the point of being dangerous. Where I live, there's a whole new meaning to that too!
    I don't have the shop manuals for this one and would like to know how to adjust the toe and camber. The wheels are cambered and toed out so badly that it's causing problems.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    Lotsa Larks!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Well, you all are going to have to forgive my ignorance of terms. I got under the old fellow and started monkeying around. Looks like the bar that links the two front wheels together was bent... badly. So I used a winch and jack and bent it straighter. Then I loosened the clamps at each end and adjusted the toe out to a slight toe in. Then I tightened hub nuts. The right side was quite loose.

Ed is doing much better now. the steering is still a bit dicey, but much more acceptable. Anyone else have any ideas? There's obviously something I've missed.

Lotsa Larks!
    Ron Smith
    Ron Smith

Comment

Clunk,
      I'll send you an e-mail shortly, I have scanned the 3 pages from the Stude Truck shop manual that deal with front end alignment.

Mark
      Mark Hayden
      '66 Commander
      Zone Coordinator
      Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

thanks Mark. This has been a problem with this truck for some time. Just a case of many years of no maintenance, I guess.

Lotsa Larks!
        Ron Smith
        Ron Smith

Comment

Excellent, glad I could help.

Mark
          Mark Hayden
          '66 Commander
          Zone Coordinator
          Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

I'm not sure these pages should be placed here. They're pretty big. Thanks for sending them, Mike.

Here's the first page as a test:

Okay, the preview came out all right. Let's see what it looks like posted. I'll have to remnove my sig line to make this easier to load...

Ron Smith

Comment

Page two:
              Ron Smith

Comment

page three:
                Ron Smith

Comment

Not much point in doing a wheel alignment if you have worn steering and/or suspension components. Fix those first if needed.
                  Then don't overlook the rear axle. If it's not reasonably square to the chassis, you end up with "crabbing", the result of which is that you are permanently compensating by turning the steering wheel a bit.
                  /H

Comment

Ron, considering the 'E' ticket ride you and Ed went on, I'd start at the base. Somewhere in the manual should be the frame specs/demensions. I'd make sure the frame is straight. All you should need is a tape measure and an extra set of hands to hold one end. Measure side to side and make sure the measurements from both sides are equal. You can rebuild the entire truck, but if the frame isn't square, the rest of the truck won't be either.

If the drag links are bent, replace them. Once bent, there is no way to straighten these the way they should be. I'd hate to here from someone else that you took another ride down a hill again .

I'd suggest doing the same with the wagon. It may have been an optical allusion, but the rear suspension looked like it shifted to the right side.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Thanks Tom. I'll look into that. The front suspension on the truck has shifted once before. I fixed it and didn't do any measurements. Perhaps that's what the problem is now. After re-bending the 'drag link' I've found the steering to be much improved. I have another Champ here and will see about switching parts.

This measurement you are speaking about, is it from front hub to rear? Are you talking about measuring the frame?

By the by; the instability is nearly gone now. There's only a tendency to over-steer to the right remaining.

Lotsa Larks!
                      Ron Smith
                      Ron Smith

Comment

Working...
                      X