Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

58 engine silver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 58 engine silver

For those that asked about the factory silver engine color, here's the factory paint on Christine, the 18K Starlight. The pic also shows the quote "all Studebaker's leak oil" to be untrue. Yet another reason I think this car was purchased with the use of a time machine.

JDP/Maryland

63 GT R2
    63 Avanti R1
    63 Daytona convert
    63 Lark 2 door
    62 Lark 2 door
    60 Lark HT-60Hawk
    59 3E truck
    58 Starlight
    52 & 53 Starliner
    51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Thats the shade of silver I have applied to my Larks 259. Thanks for confirming the color for us that have been wondering about there own engines.

Randy_G
    1959 Lark Sedan
    www.AutomotiveHistoryOnline.com

Comment

Wow JP.[] The car keeps on getting better and better! This is one of those cars that I'd park in the living room.

Comment

I sure glad the PO didn't include any pictures like I've been taking. Like Dick's GT, this car just makes you throw money at her and screw the potential profit in so doing.

JDP/Maryland

63 GT R2
        63 Avanti R1
        63 Daytona convert
        63 Lark 2 door
        62 Lark 2 door
        60 Lark HT-60Hawk
        59 3E truck
        58 Starlight
        52 & 53 Starliner
        51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

That picture is HARD TO BELIEVE!!!![:0][:0][:0][:0][:0][:0][:0]

Miscreant adrift in
          the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

This car has made me think about that bullet-nose survivor that was on ebay a year or two ago. Remember that one - I think it had less than 2K miles on it or such. Went for a good price too. Wonder what it's fate has been since it found a new home.[:I]

Miscreant adrift in
            the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:This car has made me think about that bullet-nose survivor that was on ebay a year or two ago...
              If it's the car I'm thinking of-
              The new owner took it to my brother and Dad (aka Studebakers NorthWest) for a brake job and some other work~ it's now 'living' up in Washington State...

StudeDave [8D]
              V/P San Diego County SDC
              San Diego, Ca

'54 Commander 4dr 'Ruby'
              '57 Parkview (it's a 2dr wagon...) 'Betsy'
              '57 Commander 2dr 'Baby'
              '57 Champion 2dr 'Jewel'
              '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
              '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'
              StudeDave '57
              US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
              SDC Member since 1985

past President
              Whatcom County Chapter SDC
              San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
              San Diego Chapter SDC
              North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

JDP, When I looked at the engine on your car, I thought it was a little too dark from what I remember of the silver engine color on our 58 Silver Hawk. The picture below is one that I took when our Hawk was a couple of years old and I had not changed the silver color. It looks lighter than the silver on yours, but your engine does look very original.

Leonard Shepherd
                http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

I see your confusion, look at the oil pan picture, not the engine top. Some one "detailed" the top with a darker rattle can gray.

JDP/Maryland

63 GT R2
                  63 Avanti R1
                  63 Daytona convert
                  63 Lark 2 door
                  62 Lark 2 door
                  60 Lark HT-60Hawk
                  59 3E truck
                  58 Starlight
                  52 & 53 Starliner
                  51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

Is that copper tubing being used on the fuel line, or is it just the picture?
                    Curious minds....
                    Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by lstude

JDP, When I looked at the engine on your car, I thought it was a little too dark from what I remember of the silver engine color on our 58 Silver Hawk. The picture below is one that I took when our Hawk was a couple of years old and I had not changed the silver color. It looks lighter than the silver on yours, but your engine does look very original.
                    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Surface rusted steel, guess I'd better clean and paint it detail gray.

JDP/Maryland

63 GT R2
                      63 Avanti R1
                      63 Daytona convert
                      63 Lark 2 door
                      62 Lark 2 door
                      60 Lark HT-60Hawk
                      59 3E truck
                      58 Starlight
                      52 & 53 Starliner
                      51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

That good close up pic of the '58 Starlight's oil pan tells me that someone has recently re-sealed the pan, because that is a fresh pan arch gasket without silver overspray. The engines were painted complete and always have painted gaskets.

But yes that IS the correct color, for years some SDC writers have been saying they were silver-gray, when actually ORIGINALLY, (before years of use) they were just ordinary Aluminum Silver! [:0]

That all makes perfect sense, since the whole engine has been cleaned and detailed. The FO would also have re-sealed it at the same time to replace the 49 year old gaskets and seals.

In the process of doing that he (or she) probably cleaned and saved the original silver OR just re-painted it with the correct Silver! [^]

StudeRich
                        Studebakers Northwest
                        Ferndale, WA
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

The more I look at the car, the more I have to think that it had a pretty nice cosmetic restoration in in the 90's. Your comment about the pan gasket seems logical. I also noticed that lots of parts you could not get to were nicely painted. I'd guess the engine and front clip was removed for painting. Even though I can document the low mileage, there is no way the car could have not weathered more.

JDP/Maryland

63 GT R2
                          63 Avanti R1
                          63 Daytona convert
                          63 Lark 2 door
                          62 Lark 2 door
                          60 Lark HT-60Hawk
                          59 3E truck
                          58 Starlight
                          52 & 53 Starliner
                          51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

Amazingly clean and nicely detailed engine bay! I agree on the cosmetic resto work on this...the engine fan spacer looks to be the original unpainted metal of a stripped or NOS replaced piece and the fan pulley and crank pulleys are black. All of that would have been silver and the fan would have been silver or black. The oil breather cap is also incorrect. Also true, too, on the overspray on the gaskets for the valve covers as they were on the engine when it was painted and were capped so there was usually silver overspray on the gaskets and cover lips. Still a really nice car and worth the love and adoration of its new owner.

Comment

Working...
                            X