Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mrjazzmillcreek
    replied
    Hi They are nnot leaking at the bleed screws,it is at the 3 cross over fittings,hopefully the new ones will be better

Leave a comment:

• jackb
    replied
    assuming OEM system...make sure you have the check balls in place behind the bleed screws or you won't even hold Dot 3...

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by mrjazzmillcreek View Post
    I am in the final stages of restoring a 66 Daytona Ssport Sedan that has Disc Brakes. I made my own crossover tubes for the calipers using the correct pipe fittings and double flared tube ends.I am using silicone fluid and am having a terrible time to stop the front discs from leaking. The rears are OK,it is just the 3 fittings on eaCH front wheel that I cannot stopfrom leaking,they do not feel wet,but if a I put a new paper under in the AM it is still dry in the PM.Next morning when I come back to the garage the paper is wet again. When in SB this last weekend I bought new crossovers at SI.My question is should I be putting teflon tape on each of the new fittings before I install the new crossovers,or is there someother compound that I can use?
    Part of your problem is probably the silicone fluid, especially if your cylinders have been re-sleeved. Silicone is much more likely to find ways to seep than DOT3 or 4. When they bead blast them in preparation the threads in the cylinder seem to susceptible to damage in that process. I had a lot of trouble keeping silicone fluid from leaking on an Avanti I had and that was with NOS crossover pipes and new lines. White Post Restorations always recommended not using silicone fluid (DOT5).

Leave a comment:

• mrjazzmillcreek
    replied
    Thanks for the info,yes I have a line wrench,the old ones were tightened almost to stripping the threads.I will check the seats before the new ones are installed.Thanks again

Leave a comment:

• bezhawk
    replied
    Look at the old flares a little closer.....they are not double flared, but are "bubble" flares. That is the seat is not an inverted cone, but a convex one.

Leave a comment:

• 52 Ragtop
    replied
    Did you buy new calipers??? If so, did you use the correct METRIC fitting???

Jim

Leave a comment:

• PackardV8
    replied
    Teflon tape is of no use on flared fittings. It is the crush of the matching male-female metal cones which seal the tubing to the caliper body.

Carefully examine the flare seating area of each caliper to insure there is no corrosion or scratches which could cause them to leak.

Finally, get a top quality line wrench so you can accurately tighten each flare nut.

jack vines

Leave a comment:

• mrjazzmillcreek
    started a topic Brakes: Leaky Disc Brakes

Leaky Disc Brakes

I am in the final stages of restoring a 66 Daytona Ssport Sedan that has Disc Brakes. I made my own crossover tubes for the calipers using the correct pipe fittings and double flared tube ends.I am using silicone fluid and am having a terrible time to stop the front discs from leaking. The rears are OK,it is just the 3 fittings on eaCH front wheel that I cannot stopfrom leaking,they do not feel wet,but if a I put a new paper under in the AM it is still dry in the PM.Next morning when I come back to the garage the paper is wet again. When in SB this last weekend I bought new crossovers at SI.My question is should I be putting teflon tape on each of the new fittings before I install the new crossovers,or is there someother compound that I can use?
Working...
X