Eastwood Chassis Paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint: Eastwood Chassis Paint

The label on my can of Eastwood black chassis coating includes a warning not to use it on top of self-etching primer. I assume it's because the chassis coating (which uses xylol as a thinner) would lift or blister the self-etching primer. Would I be able to seal the self-etching primer by covering it with a coat of normal sandable lacquer-based primer?
    Skip Lackie

If Eastwood has a good Customer Service Dept. they should be able to tell you how to make it work.

Good luck with the job, if it works it should be quite durable.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Talk to Keith Morris at Eastwood. He's their tech guy and is very nice and likes Studebakers. Send him a picture of yours.

Comment

I just steam cleaned the frame on my 66 from the firewall forward & primed it w/ Nason etch primer, called Eastwood tech support, they called back within 24 hrs, said to prime w/ epoxy primer over the etch primer then use any of their chassis paint over the epoxy primer

Comment

Thanks. I first posted the question on the Eastwood technical support forum and wasted a couple of days waiting for an response, which never came. I finally gave up and called them as studejack suggested. I got a call back yesterday with the same info as above. By that time, I had already covered the self-etching primer with a coat of epoxy primer. So I waited a day and then put a thin coat of the Eastwood Chassis Black on top of that. So far, it really looks good, and there is no lifting or blistering. It'll need another coat, as Eastwood recommends several thin coats.
          Skip Lackie

Comment

I'd suggest NOT using the Ceramic version of their Chassis Black. When mixed as recommended, the pot life was much, much shorter than they had advertised it to be, making application on a frame a two-session chore. Another item--if you order the gloss and expect it to be gloss---don't be surprised when it turns out to be semi-gloss.
            '53 Commander
            Art Morrison chassis
            LS6 ASA/4L60E

Comment

I'm only using the original Chassis Black, which is a one-part, paint-like product. I picked the satin finish, as my "restoration" does not justify an glass-like surface on the frame. So far, I am happy with it -- you just need to read the directions before you open the can.
              Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
              X