automatic trans pan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: automatic trans pan

I have a 1955 Commander coupe with the dg 250 BorgWarner trans, Did Studebaker make any trans pans with a dipstick from the pan along the firewall instead through the floor? Or was there a Ford or other Borg Warner trans pan that I could use? Thanks

You might look into a Jaguar or Mercedes of 62-63 vintage. They used the 250M up until around then.
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

I just got one from a fellow Studebaker guy for my 61 Hawk. It is from a 62. Pan is different and has the dipstick tub that goes all the way to the firewall so you can weld up that nasty hole in the floor.
      Good Roads
      Brian
      Brian Woods
      woodysrods@shaw.ca
      1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Studebaker only used the DG trans theoretically thru '55. However, I understand some very early '56 also had them.

So, if you have a DG250, a '61 pan will not fit. The '61 was the Flight-O-Matic, a totally different trans from the DG series.

Not sure about the Jags or others.

John

Comment

Studebaker stopped installing the Detroit-Gear transmissions in 1956. After that Studebaker used Borg Warner Flight-O-Matics. Borg Warner, then proceeded to sell franchises to both Jaguar and Mercedes, who both built the Detroit Gear units units to suit their cars and they did this into the mid 60's. I'm pretty sure the Mercedes has a engine bay filler pipe. Look for a 220S sedan
          Last edited by 64V-K7; 05-08-2011, 04:28 PM.
          64 GT Hawk (K7)
          1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Working...
          X