Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unobtainium? C/K body vent window frame

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Body / Glass: Unobtainium? C/K body vent window frame

    So I looked at several 53-54 C/K Coupes before I picked out my project and this one was the most complete...It's missing most of it's glass which isn't a major problem BUT it's also short a couple of important bits

    1. the drivers vent window frame
    2. both interior door handles
    3. driver side windshield wiper arm

    I haven't found any reproduction/NOS parts, is there some kind of Stude oriented boneyard I can pester? What model/year parts interchange?

    The good news is once I pulled the door panel away I was able to find the vent window rest (I thought that was gone too) along with random bits of laminated window glass





    And yes, still working on my engine...the daily beat-downs will continue until parts stop being stuck together.

  • #2
    Just so you know the C and K vent window frames are different. You need one from a C.

    Pat
    Pat Dilling
    Olivehurst, CA
    Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL


    LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

    Comment


    • #3
      SI has the wiper arms. The other items are able to be found. You will probably find your help right here.
      "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

      Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10,
      '51 Commander Starlight,
      '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
      '56 Sky Hawk

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Pat Dilling View Post
        Just so you know the C and K vent window frames are different. You need one from a C.

        Pat
        You beat me to it <G>.
        I believe that any vent window from a 1953 to 1961 C body can be used.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

        SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

        Comment


        • #5
          They're not unobtainum, especially C-body. Someone with both would be doing you a favor by posting photos pointing out the differences between C and K vent woindows. Often, not even the seller is certain what he has.

          jack vines
          PackardV8

          Comment


          • #6
            I'm glad to hear this stuff is doable, I'd been looking around the inter-webs and coming up empty.

            Yes, if there's an easy way to tell which is which (C/K) please let me know. I just got a lead on a set of door handles, so that's the only other 'critical' piece I'm missing so far. Once I get further along I'll probably be looking for some mechanical bits, but at this point I'm still hoping I can mend what I have.

            Also, thanks Gary for cluing me in on the exact style/years I need to be looking for (53-61 C body).

            -David

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by DavidValk View Post
              I'm glad to hear this stuff is doable, I'd been looking around the inter-webs and coming up empty.

              Yes, if there's an easy way to tell which is which (C/K) please let me know. I just got a lead on a set of door handles, so that's the only other 'critical' piece I'm missing so far. Once I get further along I'll probably be looking for some mechanical bits, but at this point I'm still hoping I can mend what I have.

              Also, thanks Gary for cluing me in on the exact style/years I need to be looking for (53-61 C body).

              -David
              The first picture is a K body vent wing. I don't have a good picture of a C body vent, but the one below shows one. The big difference is the coupe vent wing does not have a frame completely around it. The stainless frame part id part of the door window- goes up and down with the window while the K frame is fixed around the vent wing.



              Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
              '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

              Comment


              • #8
                Here's a wing vent from a C model.

                "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

                Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10,
                '51 Commander Starlight,
                '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
                '56 Sky Hawk

                Comment


                • #9
                  I have every thing you need in Hayward, just call Bob 510-266-2522
                  Candbstudebakers
                  Castro Valley,
                  California


                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
                    I have every thing you need in Hayward, just call Bob 510-266-2522
                    Outstanding, I'll give you a call in the morning.

                    Thanks,
                    -David

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X