Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

convertible top fluid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• convertible top fluid

my top was running very slowly. so i added some brake fluid as what was in the resivoir smelled like brake fluid. i didn't add much as it was pretty full. top worked no better.i decided to drain system and refill. while draining notice redish color in extremely dirty ( and a little chunky) fluid. now question is... what type of fluid do converts use. car is a 1962 lark. i'm guessing fluid is original. do i need to purge system to avoid rubber parts swelling (if adding brake fluid was incorrect? i do not have a shop manual. nor do i have a owners manual. i've only had the car a couple of days.
    e-m 37cordnt@altelco.net

Heavy duty brake fluid is what is supposed to be used, that's not to say previous owner might not have put transmision fluid or hydraulic fluid in it in the past.

Frank van Doorn
    1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
    1963 Daytona Conv
    1941 Champion R-2 Rod
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

When I replaced my pump, the vendor recommended using ATF, I did and it worked fine.

JDP/Maryland

63 GT R2
      63 Avanti R1
      63 Daytona convert
      63 Lark 2 door
      62 Lark 2 door
      60 Lark HT-60Hawk
      59 3E truck
      58 Starlight
      52 & 53 Starliner
      51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

Sounds like a shop manual would be a good investment. Hard copy would be $48 or, you could get it on CD-ROM for $24.95 and it would include the chassis and body catalog.
        "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

The factory did use brake fluid.

JDP/Maryland

63 GT R2
          63 Avanti R1
          63 Daytona convert
          63 Lark 2 door
          62 Lark 2 door
          60 Lark HT-60Hawk
          59 3E truck
          58 Starlight
          52 & 53 Starliner
          51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

sounds like a good flush of whatever is in there might not be a bad idea. Careful of the paint in the trunk though, if it is brake fluid it will lift the paint fairly quickly. (this is why a lot of people convert to ATF)

nate

--
            55 Commander Starlight
            http://members.cox.net/njnagel
            --
            55 Commander Starlight
            http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

thanks for the input. i think i'll try to convert to atf. i was somewhat concerned it might swell the hoses(like when oil is accidentally put in a brake system). but my brother has done it on his coverts and it appears others have without incident. i will fill and flush then fill again.

Comment

As far as oil swelling rubber brake parts, that will happen but SOMETIMES that's not so bad after all. I had a slow leak on the master cylinder of my Dodge truck and one time grabbed an oil jug I'd put brake fluid in. If wasn't until after I poured it in did I realize it contained old brake fluid I'd dumped in on top of the oil dregs. Ends up the oil swelled the seals and I didn't have to add fluid for a year and a half as opposed to once a month. Like one old guy told me, "Even a blind sow gets an acorn once in a while!"

Comment

quote:As far as oil swelling rubber brake parts, that will happen but SOMETIMES that's not so bad after all. I had a slow leak on the master cylinder of my Dodge truck and one time grabbed an oil jug I'd put brake fluid in. If wasn't until after I poured it in did I realize it contained old brake fluid I'd dumped in on top of the oil dregs. Ends up the oil swelled the seals and I didn't have to add fluid for a year and a half as opposed to once a month. Like one old guy told me, "Even a blind sow gets an acorn once in a while!"
                  Very true! Brake fluid does swell up leaky seals. My grandad's old work truck ('85 Dodge 3/4 ton 4x4 with 318, 4 speed) has had more brake fluid poured into the engine than oil. 275K miles and still going strong without anything major ever being done to the engine or trans. [^]
                  It works pretty well for Studes too.

'63 Daytona HT

Comment

This might be a stupid question, but where do you put the fluid?
                    My convertible top has become very slow going up.

Leonard Shepherd
                    http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

quote:Originally posted by lstude

This might be a stupid question, but where do you put the fluid?
                      My convertible top has become very slow going up.
                      Take out the back seat. There is a cylindrical reservoir with the pump. You will see a plug (or cap) on the reservoir. You probably should try to get a sample of what is in the system. It could be barke fluid or atf depending on what has been done to it in the past. Be careful not to overfill the tank. It sticks in my mind that you need to leave some air space in the tank.

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/R-4.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64L.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64P.jpg[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/53K.jpg[/img=right]Paul Johnson
                      '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
                      '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
                      '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
                      Museum R-4 engine
                      Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Thanks Paul. I will check it today.

Comment

I don't recall having to pull the back seat, are you to old crawl in the trunk ? BTW, I have a NOS kit for $40 if anyone need it.

JDP/Maryland

63 GT R2
                          63 Avanti R1
                          63 Daytona convert
                          63 Lark 2 door
                          62 Lark 2 door
                          60 Lark HT-60Hawk
                          59 3E truck
                          58 Starlight
                          52 & 53 Starliner
                          51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

quote: I don't recall having to pull the back seat, are you to old crawl in the trunk ? BTW, I have a NOS kit for $40 if anyone need it.

JDP/Maryland
                            Yes, I am too old , but mainly I have too much crap in the trunk from going to all these Studebaker Meets. I tried to crawl in there yesterday without crushing all the stuff in the trunk. I pulled the cover back and saw the pump but didn't see any place to fill the reservoir.

What does the kit consist of?

Comment

Working...
                            X