No announcement yet.

Ignition switch troubles...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Ignition switch troubles...

On my '66 Wagonaire, the ignition switch and the bezel in the dashboard have parted company (somewhat).
    The switch has pushed in a little, and the bezel can be pulled partway out and also rotates.
    Is the problem usually in the bezel or in the ignition switch?

I can still carefully start and drive the car, and total authenticity is not a requirement right now. I'd just like to get it where it will start dependably and not worry me about catching on fire.

Any ideas? Oh, yeah - the car has the factory A/C unit right under the switch and it's really in the way of any repairs.
    Thanks for any help.
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

The bezel is potmetal, and is what's used to hold in the switch. Two little tabs hold the switch in place and they are notorious for bending and breaking. Most likely you just need a new bezel. And be careful that the switch doesn't move around and short out some wires, I've seen that happen a lot.

Comment

One of the ears on the potmetal bezel has failed. It's only a matter of time
      until the other fails and the tension spring/gravity sends the HOT wire/posts
      forward to short against the dash support. That's when the fire starts!

Drop the AC evaporate NOW and replace the bezel, or at least put lots of elect tape over those hot ign posts/wires.

Comment

S.I. has bezels, other vendors may stock them too.

Comment

The new bezels S.I. sells are made of a stronger metal and the "ears" are less likely to break off. In the mean time, using a 3-4 inch length of 3/4" heater hose, slit it length wise and slide it over the dash support behind the switch. This way, if the bezel breaks and the switch moves (before you get the new bezel), the hose will keep it from shorting out against the support. Been-there-done-that. Hope this helps.

Dan Miller
          Auburn GA

Comment

Thanks for all the help, guys!
            The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

CRAP!!!

I got the bezel from SI, and upon delving in to the problem - I find it's the stinkin ears on the switch that broke, not the bezel. I just wasted $26, and now I have to order another part. What a PITA!

Comment

Pretty sure SI will take the bezel back if you explain what happened.

Comment

I recommend installing a fusible link wire on the hot lead to the wiring harness connected to the starter solenoid as protection against a short and possible fire under the panel. I have seen what happens when the ignition switch comes loose and hits the cross member on the instrument panel, it's not a pretty sight. Bud

Comment

Chris, do yourself a favor and install the heavy duty SI bezel. It's called preventive maintenance.
                    Dean

CLEM

Comment

Ditto on the advise to go ahead & replace the original bezel with the new one. It's not a question of if the original will fail, but rather "when" it will fail. And since you have A/C in the car, when it does fail, you won't be able to reach it as quickly has you need to to prevent the resulting fire when the positive post on the backof the switch contacts the dash frame.

I replaced the original spring with one that has slightly less tension so it doesn't put as much strain on the ears of the bezel.
                      Mike Sal

Comment

Working...
                      X