What lower radiator hose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: What lower radiator hose?

Need a lower radiator hose for a 54 Coupe with a SBC engine and original 6cylinder (if it matters?) Stude radiator. Will #532412 53-55 c/k commander hose work? Right now I have a cobbled together one from 1 3/4" straight hose, copper pipe and mid 90's Ford F150. It works, but right now it's out, I have changed the engine mounting angle, and I'm placing an order to SI this week so it would be a good time to order a new hose. What are you other SBC-c/k guys using? Thanks. Junior.
    sigpic
    1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Having the problem but may have it solved Monday,water pump outlet takes inch & three quater rad. inlet is inch&one half, itook a piece of no. 9 wire and bent it to shape and length, went to our local Car Quest store and looked thru their hose book and matched itup with one just a tad longer and ends match up so i think i can trim it to fit, will let you know. MAC

Comment

I thought the stock one for V8 worked for this. You'll want a larger radiator (V8) anyway..

Comment

Originally posted by junior View Post
        Need a lower radiator hose for a 54 Coupe with a SBC engine and original 6cylinder (if it matters?) Stude radiator. Will #532412 53-55 c/k commander hose work? Right now I have a cobbled together one from 1 3/4" straight hose, copper pipe and mid 90's Ford F150. It works, but right now it's out, I have changed the engine mounting angle, and I'm placing an order to SI this week so it would be a good time to order a new hose. What are you other SBC-c/k guys using? Thanks. Junior.
        What are you using for a top hose Junior?
        Mine is a cobble, part metal, part hose, works fine, but...

Comment

I have a stock 6 cylinder rad that has been recored with a 4 row core. The top hose is a standard size flex hose with a reducing bushing (goodyear) to fit the top tank inlet which is smaller than the chebby outlet. As I said the lower hose is cobbled, and workED fine, but since altering the position of the engine from about 8 degrees 'tailshaft down' to 4 degrees 'tailshaft down I need to alter the angle of my copper tubing and 45 degree elbows. I can do that, but before I start un-soldering and re-soldering I thought I would get a molded rubber one..thus the question: will a stock v8 stude hose work with a sbc engine? Just needed to know as I am placing an SI order this week, and if a stock hose will work , I will add it to my order. The car does not have any cooling issues, just wanted to use a single piece hose. Thanks, Junior. ps, I did all this work before knowing about this forum, if I was to do it now I would purchase an aluminum rad as dicussed in other threads, as the re-core of the stock rad cost about $500....oh well, live and learn.
          sigpic
          1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Picked up rad hose i ordered from Carquest part no rbr20923, had to trim both ends a bit, fits like a glove.Mac

Comment

Originally posted by GEEMAC View Post
              Picked up rad hose i ordered from Carquest part no rbr20923, had to trim both ends a bit, fits like a glove.Mac
              What's the application for this part no.? No Carquests in my neck of the woods, and their website gave me no info. Thanks, Junior.
              sigpic
              1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Junior; There was no specific auto ect. lisited for this hose, it is a (gates)parts no so any parts store that handles gates hoses and whatnot would have this no.rbr20923 in thier book witch they should be able to bring up on their computer with a pitcure of it. hope this helps. mac.

Comment

thanks for the response, I'll see what my local store has. Junior
                  sigpic
                  1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Here's more help, guys...

The part number listed in the posts is actually 20923 and cross-references to NAPA part number 7648. You can see it here:

My local NAPA store did not stock it but is getting it for me the next day. I'll let you know if/how it fits when I get it.

studeguy54

https://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/C...258776553&An=0
                    Last edited by studeguy54; 04-29-2011, 10:26 AM. Reason: change

Comment

Studeguy; Looks like the same hose as the one i got from Gates,Mac.

Comment

I didn't buy the 20923 hose when I saw it. There is no way this is going to fit my car. My radiator bottom outlet is very close to the front crossmember, and the hose needs a quick 90 degree bend to clear the crossmember. Still haven't decided what to do. Funny how a couple of weeks have passed since I started this post, and still haven't ordered any parts other than a clutch. No problem, our winter snow still hasn't completely melted, and it snow/sleeted all day today, so have no burning desire to get the car running yet. Regards, Junior.
                        sigpic
                        1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Look at a 70782 Dayco - don't cross the number to something else - get the Dayco.

Comment

That looks like it may work...thanks! Junior
                            sigpic
                            1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

I bought the hose noted here with the NAPA number. I had to take most of 2" off the one end and a lesser amount off the end that goes on the Chevy V-8 water pump. While it DOES fit and it DOES DO the job, it DOES interfere with the front crossmember, and compresses a bit where it rests on the crossmember. I have not driven my car a lot as of yet, so I do not know if compressing the hose a bit will cause a problem. If it does, I'll let you all know.

If someone had found as better solution for the hose, I'd appreciate hearing about it at studeguy54@verizon.net

Comment

Working...
                              X