Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Leaking Hydro Booster Purchased From JDP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If it is the banjo fitting that is leaking, let me just say that they are a PITA. . A disk brake Hawk has two of them. I worked for quite a while to stop mine from "seeping". I finally re-annealed some new copper washers (thanks to Gord's suggestion) and cranked the hold down bolts probably more than I should. No more seeping.

If anyone has other solutions to this problem, please post them.

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Also, if you sent parts/connectors from your old booster without pulling these parts before being shipped, you may or may not get these back from the vendor. It sounds like you sent pieces you were supposed to keep and John was nice enough to send them back.

Of course I could be wrong about the part you mentioned, in which case, it still would have been nice to have sent a picture to John explaining your concern.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
      1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

I would also like to say that I have had all the problems with a Hydrovac described here. The first replacement I got (not from JP, but another reputable vendor) leaked internally and filled the vacuum chamber with brake fluid. The one that replaced that one arrived very quickly but when I went to install it the area where the copper washer was supposed to contact was pitted and damaged. I was told to file it flat, which I did and after torquing the he** out of the fitting it doesn't leak. I've come to conclude that Hydrovacs are a bugger to get installed, but once in they perform well for years.

Now, onto another aspect. JP says he's sorry he's offered this service here at a discount. That's definitely our loss. However, I also am a self-employed service provider and I regularly come home thinking why did I ever price something at a low margin figuring most people would be easy to deal with. Then someone will run out the clock taking all kinds of extra time and labor because of one reason or another. The point is, you really have to price your service based not entirely on the worst case scenario, but at least with it in mind. If you don't, you risk losing money and the customer's confidence because you won't want to take the time to deal with their concerns.

It sounds like there wasn't good communication here, I hope Phil and JP can work it out.

Tim K.
        '64 R2 GT Hawk
        Tim K.
        \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

I too hate the banjo fittings, especially on the master cylinder. It's hard to get enough torque to compress the copper and keep them from weeping. He says the leak is internal to the hydrovac and I still am clueless as to where it's "squirting fluid" from. In his e-mails, it sounds like the banjo, but that's neither internal or part of the hydrovac. Even though I refunded his money in full, I'd still like to know where the defect in the rebuild is so I can tell my rebuilder.
          If it is the banjo leaking, I guess I should have just tossed his old ones in the box, but I thought they might get lost, a $265 mistake on my part.

JDP/Maryland

63 GT R2
          63 Avanti R1
          63 Daytona convert-63
          63 Lark 2 door
          62 Lark 2 door
          60 Lark HT-60Hawk
          59 3E truck
          58 Starlight
          52 & 53 Starliner
          51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

True, I did tell you to buy new washers and suggested where to get them. If I had them myself you can be sure I would send them out. Since they were not part of the hydrovac, and your old ones were sent to me, I just returned them to you. It's no different then if you'd bought a new set of brake hoses or a master cylinder, you do have to chase down new washers. Once you posted on the public forum about a leaky hydrovac and suggested a refund because I would not find you new washers, you got one.

JDP/Maryland

63 GT R2
            63 Avanti R1
            63 Daytona convert-63
            63 Lark 2 door
            62 Lark 2 door
            60 Lark HT-60Hawk
            59 3E truck
            58 Starlight
            52 & 53 Starliner
            51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

You know, it never occurred to me the the hydrovac surface could have been pitted. Carlos bead blasts them, but if it were badly pitted it might well leak especially when reusing the old washers. As to pricing I agree. I just found out I was selling a item at a discounted price of $90.00 that the my cost had gone up to $104.

JDP/Maryland

63 GT R2
              63 Avanti R1
              63 Daytona convert-63
              63 Lark 2 door
              62 Lark 2 door
              60 Lark HT-60Hawk
              59 3E truck
              58 Starlight
              52 & 53 Starliner
              51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

Well, y'all know what I'm about to say...

Posting specific complaints against another forum member publically is not an appropriate use of this forum. I would have deleted the initial post and privately contacted the writer had I seen it early enough (as I have done to others in the past). However, as the subject party has responded and, more importantly, it appears as though a resolution has been tendered, I have chosen to not delete the topic at this time.

For everyone's benefit should they find themselves in a similar situation: If one forum member seeks out and subsequently connects with another forum member who describes and offers the product/service through the forum, I consider that to be "advertising". As such, the forum's advertising policy applies.

As spelled out in the "Forum Policies" sticky topic in the General Discussion Forum, disputes between an advertiser and a customer are not to be played out on the forum in public but are to be submitted to the SDC Advertising Complaint Arbitor who will work with both parties privately to resolve the issue.

Bringing "charges" against another forum member is serious business and must not done without careful consideration and only after all other avenues have been exhausted. If private emails do not suffice, then telephone conversations are in order. And, as a forum member suggests, one keeps trying to resolve the problem "until an impass is reached". I repeat... complaining about another forum member publically (whether a vendor or individual) is not appropriate or welcomed on this forum. If the complaint is about a product or service sold/bought as a result of both parties being on this forum, there is a Board-approved process for lodging/handling the complaint.

I encourage the parties to continue their discussion and path to resolution through private emails and telephone. Thank you.

BShaw,Webmaster

60 Hawk. 49 2R5, 39 Champion
                Woodbury, Minnesota
                sigpic
                Bob Shaw
                Rush City, Minnesota
                1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
                "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Comment

With all the cheap digital cameras out there and cell phones, I dont
                  see why there hasnt been one picture posted yet. Just an observation.

I am interested as to what the problem actually is, sometimes these
                  vendor vs customer posts are worthwhile because others can learn from
                  the experience in what to look for. JDP has easily shown that he is
                  a stand up guy in regards to this issue, but WHAT [u]is</u> leaking?

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: 97 Z28 T-56 6-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
                  '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                  Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                  http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                  I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Hey JDP - after reading all your responses, I'm inclined to buy something from you... sounds like you understand customer service. Too bad I don't need a booster! Where's your online store?

Las Vegas, NV
                    '51 Champion Business Coupe G899965 10G-Q4-1434

Comment

I don't have a store, I just sell extra stuff on ebay now and then, and occasionally help out someone that posts a need for a part.

JDP/Maryland

63 GT R2
                      63 Avanti R1
                      63 Daytona convert-63
                      63 Lark 2 door
                      62 Lark 2 door
                      60 Lark HT-60Hawk
                      59 3E truck
                      58 Starlight
                      52 & 53 Starliner
                      51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

The way I see it, regardless of who, what , when, where or why, JDP refunding the money PLUS not asking for the unit in return says it all. An honorable man indeed. When I get further into my '51, I know who I'll be contacting.

Comment

Well .. I always like to know the "why". It might be something very
                          useful for others to know. As these cars age, things that were not a
                          problem in the past might start being a problem. Could be nothing,
                          but its worth while seeing where this goes, could end up as a tech on
                          Johnstones website!

I remember all the hell we had with my dads '64 GT Hawk's Hydrovac. I
                          got to the point I wanted to hydrolaunch that hydrovac![]

Tom
                          '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                          Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                          I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Maybe we should just drop this thread as Bob suggested, the guy was dissatisfied for whatever reason and got a refund. It's up to him if he wants to fill us in when he solves the problem. I'd like to know if it was the hydrovac proper myself, but it's up to him to e-mail me if he wants.

JDP/Maryland

63 GT R2
                            63 Avanti R1
                            63 Daytona convert-63
                            63 Lark 2 door
                            62 Lark 2 door
                            60 Lark HT-60Hawk
                            59 3E truck
                            58 Starlight
                            52 & 53 Starliner
                            51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

I've dealt with John several times and have found him to be not only honorable his service has been extraordinary. Phil jumped the gun and got his refund. As Mr Shaw has stated this is not the place to air dirty laundry. JP has a very well known and published Email address and these comments should have been aired and resolved there. Privately.

I recall some bad blood on the forum a few months ago regarding Steeltech brakes. This issue was not brought up on the forum until it could or would not be resolved privately. And well deserved too.

As far as I am concerned Phil received a good service, sounds like a simple mistake with bad communication and should send JP a cheque back.

Is this where it is leaking? Notice the two copper washers.

BTW I would love to have JP take mine apart just to bead blast and paint it!

1964 GT Hawk soon to be R2 Clone
                              1964 GT Hawk
                              PSMCDR 2014
                              Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
                              PSMCDR 2013
                              Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

I agree that if this was an all out bashfest, than it should be axed
                                and left in our memories, but we all see that JDP refunded the money
                                and that should make others feel good about doing business with him.
                                BUT if the thread goes away, others that have had a similar problem
                                will be left in the dark as to what went wrong - thats a dis-service
                                to the members of this forum. This is why I would like to see what it
                                was that WAS leaking, as even JDP has stated. Bringing this up on the
                                forum, Phil has a duty to all of us to share what exactly he is has an
                                issue with.

I did that when I posted pictures of both the headlight gaskets for my
                                Avanti, and the rebuild kit for my fuel pump from Studebaker Int. The
                                gaskets just dont fit the plastic lenses I have like they should, so I
                                need to figure out how to do so, & the fuel pump had a torn seal that
                                S.I. offered to replace if I sent the whole kit back. Mike Mudd on
                                this forum was nice enough to send me a replacement so I didnt have to
                                wait on shipping back and forth. I felt good about how S.I. handled
                                the situation and bought my hoses and rebuild kits from them for my
                                powersteering self torture ... er ... I mean rebuild.

Tom

quote:Originally posted by JDP

Maybe we should just drop this thread as Bob suggested, the guy was dissatisfied for whatever reason and got a refund. It's up to him if he wants to fill us in when he solves the problem. I'd like to know if it was the hydrovac proper myself, but it's up to him to e-mail me if he wants.
                                quote:Originally posted by studebaker-R2-4-me

As Mr Shaw has stated this is not the place to air dirty laundry ... snip ... Is this where it is leaking? Notice the two copper washers.

Comment

Working...
                                X