Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Leaking Hydro Booster Purchased From JDP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaking Hydro Booster Purchased From JDP

I recently installed a Hydro Booster that I purchased from JDP. Immediately after the installation I notice the booster was leaking fluid from a internal location that was "connected" went the unit was rebuilt. So, I sent an email to JDP describing the situation.

I asked John for direction regarding the fluid leak and his response to me was to replace the washers where the booster was leaking. Now understand, for me to replace the washers, I have to disconnect parts that are internal to the unit.
    I did try to locate new washers but these washers appear to be special "brake brass washers" and I just did not want to take the risk, so I asked John to provide the washers, and well, below is his response to me:

This is JDP response:
    I don't have any new washers, but I've been able to buy the fittings from SASCO so they may have the washers. I may have the used ones I took off your core if you want them.
    62 GT Hawk
    49 2R5 Pickup
    00 Avanti Looking

I'm sorry I misunderstood you I though you were talking about the washer under the brake line fitting, not a internal seal. You told me it was the double washers at the fitting and they are not parts of the hydovac. If I get them with a core, I do return them, but they don't go to the rebuilder. I'll gladly refund your money, even if the hydrovac itself is not leaking and don't understand why he felt you felt the need for a post like this.

JDP/Maryland

63 GT R2
    63 Avanti R1
    63 Daytona convert-63
    63 Lark 2 door
    62 Lark 2 door
    60 Lark HT-60Hawk
    59 3E truck
    58 Starlight
    52 & 53 Starliner
    51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

I hope you get it worked out, Phil, but don't think JDP is the only one who sometimes sends out a less than perfect unit. I've had one fail right out of the box that came from another vendor, so I had to pay for labor twice to install and uninstall. I'm not sure why brake boosters are such a bugaboo in general. Of all the mechanical parts I've had replaced in my Studebakers, brake boosters make me the most nervous because it seems like 1 in 3 rebuilt ones are likely to not be rebuilt right and fail immediately or soon. If you don't do your own work it gets darn expensive and frustrating - not mention potentially dangerous.
      "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Phil, as an owner of a business, past & present, these types of responses can prove to be damaging to a business when, by your own admission, John has been trying to take care of your problem to your satisfaction. This is kind of harsh for post number 2.

Please don't take this the wrong way. Consider this constructive criticism and not an attack. I've found that in the automotive end, there are few absolutes. I judge a company on what the follow up is if there is a problem. Some in this hobby (Studebaker and old car in general) can be a problem to deal with. Your complaint is the first that I've heard about John. And John appears to have made the attempt to have this taken care of this issue to your satisfaction. You can't ask for more than that.

I think the best way is to handle this to the point of an impass. If a problem exists with a product and the company tells you to pound sand, that is one thing. No one wants to deal with someone like that. But until you've reached that point, I don't think it's really appropriate to post in this fashion.

Again Phil, this isn't meant as an attack. Consider it to be like being advised that leaving the caps locked is a bad thing when posting on the internet.

Hope to see some picks of the Hawk.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
        1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

We need to remember, we are dealing with stuff that is 40 to 60 years old. It was made, remanufactured, and sold by humans. I know of only one individual who was perfect, and I am not HIM.

Comment

It seems it's a misunderstanding, the booster works fine and I thought he was talking about those damn banjo washers like are used on the master cylinder. The new MC don't have new washers either, and I either have to find new ones or risk a leak. In his note he said the booster does work perfectly but had a fluid leak and said it has a leak on the fluid input section of the booster in the location of the brass washer. I was not aware of any brass washers that are internal to the booster and neither does my rebuilder. I told him to keep the unit, and I'll refund his money since his core is now rebuilt too.
            Your point is well taken since I searched out this rebuilder because of problems I've had with others. I've had a few dozen rebuilt without a issue, but it's not worth the risk to sell the service at nearly my cost on the forum. I'll still do the service for the some vendors, but no more direct sales at a discount on a open forum. This kind of stuff is why vendors seldom join forums, I never got a chance to offer him a refund until he asked for it on a public forum.

JDP/Maryland

63 GT R2
            63 Avanti R1
            63 Daytona convert-63
            63 Lark 2 door
            62 Lark 2 door
            60 Lark HT-60Hawk
            59 3E truck
            58 Starlight
            52 & 53 Starliner
            51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

I'll still do the service for the some vendors, but no more direct sales at a discount on a open forum.
              JDP/Maryland
              I hate it when one, ah.....person.....screws up a good thing for the rest of us!!

Paul

Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: http://hometown.aol.com/r1skytop/myhomepage/index.html
              Paul
              Winston-Salem, NC
              Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

JDP, from my view (not involved personally, business, or otherwise) this was very clearly a misunderstanding between a customer and you, that you were trying to fix. To me that is an honest business and I would not be swayed at all by this issue, in fact it'd tend to reinforce trust in what you do. Like I said, just an outsider opinion, and I've enjoyed your many posts on technical and non-technical matters.

Best Regards,
                Eric West
                "The Speedster Kid"
                Sunny Northern California
                Where the roads don't freeze over and the heat doesn't kill you.
                And an open road is yours to have -only during non-commute rush hours 9am-4pm and 7pm to 7am (Ha, ha, ha)
                55 Speedster "Lemon/Lime" (Beautiful)
                55 President State Sedan (Rusty original, but runs great and reliable)
                Best Regards,
                Eric West
                "The Speedster Kid"
                Sunny Northern California
                Where the roads don't freeze over and the heat doesn't kill you.
                And an open road is yours to have -only during non-commute rush hours 9am-4pm and 7pm to 7am (Ha, ha, ha)
                55 Speedster "Lemon/Lime" (Beautiful)
                55 President State Sedan (Rusty original, but runs great and reliable)

Comment

In response, I add the following comments;

I had a booster that I received from JDP that leaked fluid.

I asked for JDP to replace the defective parts and I told him that I would install the parts myself.

At this time I did not ask for a refund because I wanted to keep the booster and just do the repairs.

I was told to chase the parts myself or he would send me the old parts. (In my interpretation)

If I overreacted to his comments, I do apologize.

62 GT Hawk
                  49 2R5 Pickup
                  00 Avanti Looking

Comment

Now that this is handled, how about some pics of your Hawk Phil!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

I still think it's the banjo washers, but even though they are not part of the hydrovac, I gave him a full refund and told him to keep the unit. For $265, he should be able to buy two new washers. I'll just chalk it up to a lesson learned.
                      My son works retail and he told me a story that cheered me up. He had a customer that spent a half hour trying to shave more and more off the asking price of a guitar. He finally asked the customer if he was looking for a "Good Buy". When the customer replied in the affirmative, by son said, "OK Goodbye"

JDP/Maryland

63 GT R2
                      63 Avanti R1
                      63 Daytona convert-63
                      63 Lark 2 door
                      62 Lark 2 door
                      60 Lark HT-60Hawk
                      59 3E truck
                      58 Starlight
                      52 & 53 Starliner
                      51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

62 GT Hawk
                          49 2R5 Pickup
                          00 Avanti Looking

Comment

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com...TOPIC_ID=10199

JDP/Maryland

63 GT R2
                            63 Avanti R1
                            63 Daytona convert-63
                            63 Lark 2 door
                            62 Lark 2 door
                            60 Lark HT-60Hawk
                            59 3E truck
                            58 Starlight
                            52 & 53 Starliner
                            51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

I think another point needs to be made here. And let me say up front that I'm not JDP's guardian or anything like that!
                              Maybe some of us see different vendors as rebuilding these things in their shops and then without even bothering to test them, shipping them out and running to the bank to deposit their booty. Truth is, most Stude vendors send complex units like this out to a professional shop to have them overhauled. To hook them up and functionally test them before sending them off to a customer would be tedious and detrimental to the unit itself.
                              Further, we've only recently had a bruhaha about airing your dirty laundry here, regarding vendors. Maybe it looks like a good way to embarrass someone into doing what YOU feel is right to rectify things, but it actually makes the complainer look small and the vendor gets a whack he maybe doesn't deserve.[}]
                              In this instance, it SOUNDS like a case of mis-communication. Man, how easy is it to try and convey that you need that little thingy that goes right next to the ghee-watchet to the right of the steering column??? Vendors have to deal with this all the time - frustrated customers that can't understand why you don't recognize the little round "thingy" that they need that goes inside the valve body of their Studebaker's transmission! After all - you DO sell Studebaker parts, right?

Miscreant adrift in
                              the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                              1960 Larkvertible V8
                              1958 Provincial wagon
                              1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                              X