Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good source for vinyl & other interior stuff?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior: Good source for vinyl & other interior stuff?

Hey all,

I'm searching for good approximations to the colonial red vinyl that Studebaker used in my lark. The local fabric stores have some close auto upholstery vinyls, but no direct hits.

Also, are there patterns out there that could be used to produce the upholstery pieces we need? My wife and I are both fairly accomplished on a sewing machine, but my life would be easier if I didn't have to dissect and reverse-engineer the old seat covers and door panels which are pretty filthy from a decade of mice using them as a restroom.

Lastly, where would I go about finding a supply of that heavy cardboard backing material used in the interior and side wall panels?

Thanks!
    Last edited by JimC; 04-13-2011, 10:26 PM. Reason: Added link to my latest video
    '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

The door panel board can be purchased all cut and ready to upholster from Ernie Loga at Loga Enterprises, catalog is on line. You might check with Renee Harger at Southeast Studebaker about purchasing the vinyl or buy the kit from them, not cheap though! These vendors can be found in Turning Wheels. How you go about it kind of depends on your budget and how accomplished you are at doing it yourself.
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Jim,

If you are looking for good quality replacements here's a few vendors to contact

You might see what JDP/John Poulos has to offer, as far as seat covers his URL is www.Stude.com he makes good quality seat covers. His seat covers are on my to do list...

Somebody in Colorado bought the old SASCO interior trim panels http://starlightstude.wordpress.com/ I bought 62 sedan interior panels from SASCO and I need to modify the rear quarter covers for use in a hardtop. Perhaps he has something in red that you can adapt

There is a craftsman in WV who does dash caps, not exact replacements but more than good enough, I believe his name is Jim Lawrence. When I can afford it, I plan to have him make a new dash cap and I need to see if he can do my door caps/trim caps at the same time.

If you have not already, join the SDC and get Turning wheels every month. for the time being check the vendor link under valuable links on the SDC website... there are goodies galore

Jeff T.
      \"I\'m getting nowhere as fast as I can\"
      The Replacements.

Comment

Talk to Will Sander at Starlight Studebaker, he may have complete panels NOS. Also try SMS auto fabrics for yard goods. They have a large selection of OE material. http://www.smsautofabrics.com/
        R2Andrea

Comment

Originally posted by JimC View Post
          Hey all,

I'm searching for good approximations to the colonial red vinyl that Studebaker used in my lark. The local fabric stores have some close auto upholstery vinyls, but no direct hits.

Also, are there patterns out there that could be used to produce the upholstery pieces we need? My wife and I are both fairly accomplished on a sewing machine, but my life would be easier if I didn't have to dissect and reverse-engineer the old seat covers and door panels which are pretty filthy from a decade of mice using them as a restroom.

Lastly, where would I go about finding a supply of that heavy cardboard backing material used in the interior and side wall panels?

Thanks!

Here's my most popular red, covers, custom made for $280, or raw vinyl for $35 yard and you'll need 5 yards. I can do pleated for the same money.

http://stude.com/covers/colors_files/Channel.jpg
          Last edited by JDP; 04-14-2011, 05:17 PM.
          JDP Maryland

Comment

Loga Enterprises for the pre-cut tar-board panels. If you want bulk to cut your own, try Restoration Specialties in Windber, Pa.
            http://www.restorationspecialties.com/
            "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10,
            '51 Commander Starlight,
            '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
            '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

I would like to make a suggestion for an alternative to the tar-board panels for door panels, etc.:

Locally in Maryland it is available from Harbor Sales http://www.harborsales.net/tabid/130...ductTypeId=162 and is called Sintra. It is PVC sheet foam. I use 3mm (1/8") thick sheet.

One may not recognize it as a foam product, but it is. It will take staples and adhesive just like the tar-board, but wil not curl or warp and wil remain free of moisture problems. If it needs to be curved, a heat gun will do the trick.

I have no idea where it can be procured near Ohaha.
              Last edited by irishjr; 04-14-2011, 06:35 PM.
              sigpic
              Old Car Guy....New Stude Guy

Comment

Working...
              X