'64-66 Daytona - pink ignition wire resistance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: '64-66 Daytona - pink ignition wire resistance

Does anyone know the Ohm's rating on the Pink resistance wire. It looks like someone has replaced a portion of my wire and I'm reading 12.3 volts at the coil unhooked (12.6 at the battery). That seems a bit high to me. My understanding was that the voltage was suppose to be in the 9 volt range.

Does the value change as things warm up? I know some resistor circuits are that way. I have a Pertronix Ignitor and don't want to compromise it with the wrong voltage at the coil (the Ignitor itself is properly getting the full 12 volts).

Thanks, Tom
    '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

How is it possible that the ignitor is getting 12V and the Coil is not? It should be pulling it's power from the same Coil terminal as the Coil, in which case the problem is solved depending on just HOW you got that 12V to the ignitor.

If the Coil is a stock coil (no built-in resistence) you can use the resister wire (or ballast resister). But if it is a a Pertronix Flamethrower 35 or 40,000 Volt Coil, you do not want the resistence, replace the Pink ign. switch wire with a solid copper 16ga. wire, you also will not need the 12 volt start only "kicker" wire from the Solenoid either.

Comment

The pink wire should have a resistance of 1.5 to 1.8 ohms cold. If you are installing a Pertronix coil, use a ballast resistor as I don't care what Pertronix says about using their coils with no resistor. I've had to replace 3 Pertronix coils in the past year that were used without a resistor because they overheated and failed. Bud

Comment

As an added note, if the Pertronix coil is the 3 ohm variety, you don't need a resistor. The 1.5 ohm coils do need a resistor. Bud

Comment

(S),

Pertronix recommends that the Ignitor run off of a switched 12 volt supply. Thus, I wired the Pertronix red wire (+) directly to the ignition switch 12 volts. Apparently some people attempt to wire it to the plus side of the coil. However, that will only result in the Pertronix getting reduced voltage if a resistor is in line.

Currently the coil is stock, but I have a Mallory 28675 and an Accel 140001 at my disposal. My concern was the resistance in the Pink wire as the Accel coil uses the existing resistor AND one of two additional resistors. The value of the additional resistor is based on the resistance of the existing resistor.

Tom
          '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

FWIW I had a Pertronix unit put in my car along with the FlameThrower coil.The guy who installed it didn't connect the ballast resistor. I DID however, after not being comfortable with the high temp of the coil.It's been almost 3 years and several 100 mile trips and no troubles so far...

Comment

Working...
            X