M5 tire size change - so it can go faster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: M5 tire size change - so it can go faster

Tire size is really important for these old trucks - if they still have the original rear axles. I came across a guy yesterday who is fitting 750-16 tires to his '38 Olds. Putting a tape measure on the still-uninstalled tires, the circumference measured about 100 inches. That's 10 more than the 600-16 tires (inflated) that are on my truck now. So, the 750-16's could lower my rpm's by 200-250 over my present 600-16's.

Question is - will the 750-16's fit on an M5 without rubbing? Anyone out there that has experience on this?
    Roger Hill

60 Lark Vlll, hardtop, black/red, Power Kit, 3 spd. - "Juliette"
    61 Champ Deluxe, 6, black/red, o/d, long box. - "Jeri"
    Junior Wagon - "Junior"

"In the end, dear undertaker,
    Ride me in a Studebaker"

For not a lot more money than the price of two tires, you can buy a rebuilt overdrive transmission with floor shift from Gerry Kurtz. Then you'll have 30% less rpm plus an additional gear. It bolts right in, though you have to shorten the drive shaft. And, your truck may sit funny if you only replace the back tires.

I'd be much more concerned that the 7.50-16 tires are way too wide for the 4.5" wide rims, not safe.
    Gary Ash
    Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
    ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
    '48 M5
    '65 Wagonaire Commander
    '63 Wagonaire Standard
    web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

Thanks, Gary. You're right - I had better investigate the width compatibility.

Two 750's at the rear would sure look dorkey! I would put on 4 , however. That is, unless you're trying to tell me that there's no way they'd work on the front?
      Roger Hill

60 Lark Vlll, hardtop, black/red, Power Kit, 3 spd. - "Juliette"
      61 Champ Deluxe, 6, black/red, o/d, long box. - "Jeri"
      Junior Wagon - "Junior"

"In the end, dear undertaker,
      Ride me in a Studebaker"

Comment

Working...
      X