Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bezhawk
    replied
    Perhaps you missread my intentions, I was saying that the lower ones were the drain plugs......That's what the duh was for.Sorry if you mistakenly thought I was casting aspersions upon your intelligence.
    Originally posted by duster0082002 View Post
    ya guys i am a mechanic im not dumb just didnt know about these overdrives internaly maybe its an easy fix

Leave a comment:

• jclary
    replied
    ya guys i am a mechanic im not dumb just didnt know about these overdrives internaly maybe its an easy fix
    There is an analogy here some where. You know, people sometimes treat their mechanic like dogs.

You know...they call their dog a dumb animal...but I ask...who is working to buy the feed?

If they call their mechanic dumb...just ask who is dumb? The person who can't fix anything, or the one doing the fixing?

The ones that get me going is the relative that calls me to fix something and then starts telling me how to do the job. I have found the best way to deal with that is to hand them the tools, take a break, pull up a chair with a cold drink and say nothing. Once that awkward moment passes...it is amazing how quiet the room gets as they hand the tools back and leave you alone.

Leave a comment:

• whacker
    replied
    Here is where you can find the overdrive troubleshooting guide. It is under the technical pages.

http://www.raylinrestoration.com/

Ray is a great guy (studeman on the forum. Haven't heard from him for a while.)

Leave a comment:

• duster0082002
    replied
    Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
    There are two fill plugs on an overdrive transmission, The main case has it's fill plug, and the overdrive section has a separate plug. They are both on the passenger side. There are actually four plugs, the fill plugs are higher up and the drain plugs are lower(duh).

Leave a comment:

• bezhawk
    replied
    ya couple years ago it was a little low, i topped it off and was fine for a while

im gonna post a couple pix in the picture forum if anyone interested in seeing some crummy phone pix
    There are two fill plugs on an overdrive transmission, The main case has it's fill plug, and the overdrive section has a separate plug. They are both on the passenger side. There are actually four plugs, the fill plugs are higher up and the drain plugs are lower(duh).

Leave a comment:

• duster0082002
    replied
    ya couple years ago it was a little low, i topped it off and was fine for a while

im gonna post a couple pix in the picture forum if anyone interested in seeing some crummy phone pix

Leave a comment:

• ozarkman
    replied
    i remember hearing that having happened to someone else as the trans got hot...it turned out to be no oil in the overdrive

Leave a comment:

• duster0082002
    replied
    im from Roswell NM

Leave a comment:

• duster0082002
    replied
    oh and when u do engage overdrive after a few min at highway speed it starts dragging down motor as if brakes are engageing but if u stop and take it out of over drive it drives fine again like nothing

Leave a comment:

• duster0082002
    replied
    Originally posted by ozarkman View Post
    If it slips in gear, I would vote for the clutch. And welcome to the forum!
    ya please read post it only does it in reverse, its not the clutch, it drives fine going forward untill u let off the gas then it shudders unless u give it gas or push in clutch, and it acts like slipping cluch when u go in reverse. clutch is strong it will burn tires if u dump it.

Leave a comment:

• jclary
    replied
    Welcome to the forum. If you don't get an instant reply...don't get discouraged and go away. Although the Studebaker Driver's Club has thousands of members world-wide, many do not know about this forum or participate. Those who do, come and go. So...please be patient.

Often if an overdrive will not go in reverse, it could be that the solenoid is not pulling it out of overdrive and in that case, the "Reverse Lockout" will not allow it to go in reverse. Also, if you are trying to pull away from a standing stop and the transmission's overdrive is still engaged, it will feel like you have a slipping clutch or loss of power because of the gearing while in overdrive. The vibrating is another problem altogether. You could have a slipping clutch, chattering clutch, or other problems.

I see that you do not show where you are located. It would be good to find some members of the Studebaker Club in your area and get some experienced eyeballs on your problem. This could help you determine if you have a slight or serious problem. Hopefully, it is simple and you can repair it and begin to have a good spring and summer enjoying your ride.

Leave a comment:

• ozarkman
    replied
    If it slips in gear, I would vote for the clutch. And welcome to the forum!

Leave a comment:

• 62 lark overdrive issues!!

hi, im new here and i have a 62 lark v8 3 on the tree with od i have had this car for 6ish years and a while back the overdrive acted up it wouldnt go in reverse acted like clutch was slipping. so i had been running it out of overdrive and has been fine till about a month ago and now while going in forward gears and on deceleration it shutters and doing same in reverse it slips... any ideas?
Working...
X