No announcement yet.

1962 studebaker champ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What i also would like to know is if a normal short wheel base champ loadbox flap work on my truck as well?Did the 3/4 ton champ like mine came out with hup caps that fits over axl that is sticking out of the rim.Is parts freely available for the 3/4 ton champs?

Comment

Thanks for the correction Mark. I was aware of the Hydrovac option which is indicated in the 63' brochure specifications. Having never seen one, I "assumed" that it would be located on the fender as on a Hawk. That is why I stated "from your photo of the engine bay I see no evidence".
      Dean

CLEM

Comment

No worries Dean! Happy to share what little I know about Studes. That I know 'cause I just looked at one last week!

Fairlane - Factory hub caps were available for the Champ 3/4 ton trucks... they are smaller in diameter than the 1/2 ton caps and cover just the wheel centres. Not certain what you mean by "normal short wheelbase Champ loadbox flap", but if you are referring to a tailgate for the pickup bed, than wheelbase is unimportant. The spaceside tailgates from a short (6.5 ft.) and long (8.0 ft.) bed are identical. Just make sure it is a tailgate for the spaceside or P2 bed. The narrow (external fenders) or P1 bed has a very different tailgate.
        Hope that helps.
        Mark Hayden
        '66 Commander
        Zone Coordinator
        Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

thx i was refering to tailgate.What i also wanted to know was the serial no on the plate is it chupped into the body as well and if were do i find it.The motor how do i know if its an 289 or 259 except for the dome pistons the engine no begins with 7E.On the plate it shows hp 154 at 3800rpm.What is the best place to order parts from like gasket sets,bearings exct.for international orders.

Comment

More Info

Originally posted by Fairlane View Post
            thx i was refering to tailgate.What i also wanted to know was the serial no on the plate is it chupped into the body as well and if were do i find it.The motor how do i know if its an 289 or 259 except for the dome pistons the engine no begins with 7E.On the plate it shows hp 154 at 3800rpm.What is the best place to order parts from like gasket sets,bearings exct.for international orders.
            A "7E" engine serial number means it is a 289 standard duty engine (not HD). As previously mentioned, the serial number plate on Champs was affixed to the "A" pillar on the driver's side of the vehicle - it was not placed anywhere else. For parts, I would suggest you start with this link: http://www.studebakervendors.com/

Someone else may chime in if they have a good source for the engine parts you are seeking. Good Luck!
            Mark Hayden
            '66 Commander
            Zone Coordinator
            Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

I assume the serial plate is on the A pillar on the LEFT side of the truck -- even if it's a RHD truck.
              Skip Lackie

Comment

thats right even on rhd cars or trucks it will be on the lhs

Comment

Fairlane;
                  I have a '63 Champ 3/4 ton that is a twin to this one, except the power brakes. Mine weighs in at 3660 lbs. What is the transmission in yours? Mine has a 5 speed OD with a very strange shift pattern. Good luck on fixing it up.
                  David
                  '49 2R15 Flatbed
                  '56 Golden Hawk
                  '62 GT Hawk
                  '63 Champ 8E 12
                  sigpic

Comment

mine got a 4 speed with out the OD

Comment

Here is a pic of a 3/4 ton Champ from the International meet in Pennsylvania back in 2008. Has the 3/4 ton hub caps (the larger ones Studebaker referred to as "wheel covers") This truck was about as good as they get other than the outside mirrors being mounted in a non-factory location...

Good luck.
                      Last edited by 62champ; 04-13-2011, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 62champ View Post
                        This truck was about as good as they get other than the outside mirrors being mounted in a non-factory location...
                        Not to nit pick, but the hood ornament is not a factory production item either. I'd be quite happy to have it in my "stable".
                        Mark Hayden
                        '66 Commander
                        Zone Coordinator
                        Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

Working...
                        X