1962 studebaker champ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: 1962 studebaker champ

Hi guys i am new to the site and would like to ask a question about the champ that i am busy restoring.It is the only known lhd champ to be in south africa.It is fitted with a 289 motor.I was scrolling on the internet looking at diffrent pictures of the champ lwb but nowhere can i pick up the same one as what i got.The clocks on the dash is 63 lark gauges and on the passenger side it has a big watch.It is almost a 2 ton i think its a 1 3/4.The back axl looks like a truks axl with 9 hole rims.On the body it shows 8E but there is no air conditioner it is fitted with air brakes, please i will be gratefull if somone could give me information.

62 Champ??

If it has what you believe is a 1 1/2 or 2 ton rating, I can guarantee it is not a Champ - it is a Transtar. If it has air brakes and they are factory original, it is a 2 TON HD or a model 8E-40. However, your description of the gauges does sound more like a Champ.
    If you can post some pictures and provide the full serial number, that would help us help you.
    Mark Hayden
    '66 Commander
    Zone Coordinator
    Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

thank you for your reply .the body looks that of a champ i tried to download some pictures but failed to do so. I made a mistake it is not a 9 hole but a 8 hole rim.I now for a fact it doesnt look like the transstar.On the plate on the firewall it says 8E TF.The front windscreen is also tinted from the factory

Comment

Last edited by Skip Lackie; 04-01-2011, 05:41 AM. Reason: Added a sentence
        Skip Lackie

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00230.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	1667827Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00238.jpg
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	1667826finally i figured it out how to download pictures from my computer.Iwent looking for the plate but seems someone has removed it.If you look at the rear wheel you will see the truck diff.I will find out what happend to the plate.

Comment

It looks to be a 3/4 ton Champ. Confused about the air brakes though. What leads you to believe it has air brakes? Perhaps you mean power-assisted hydraulic brakes (vacuum assisted)? Any pictures of the engine bay (hood open)? Looks like a good solid truck, good luck with it.
            sigpic
            In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

My /63 Lark has black gauges, not green. The horn button is a Hawk piece and the horn ring on my "62 Champ is just a button, not like that. I think it was modified by someone other than the factory, unless it was assembled in S.A. Would vehicles assembled in South Africa be lhd. Probably all rhd.

Comment

I think in south Africa the rating for load is what it will actually carry, whereas here in the US, our rating is way under what vehicles will now carry. It is more like what they would have carried in the 20's or 30's. For instance our 2 ton trucks will typacally carry 20,000 pounds or so (legally). Maybe someone else knows the history of our load rating. Your pickup as I would call it looks like a champ with the long wide box. How are the cab mounts in the front corners of the footwells? Most of them are broken/rusted out and a pain to fix properly. Have fun David.

Comment

62 Champ

I can say with some certainty from looking at your posted photos that what you have is a 3/4 ton Champ into which someone has installed a set of 64-66 gauges and speedo. These trucks had a North American rating of 7000 lbs. GVW and I believe they weighed around 3000-3500 lbs depending on options, so your actual payload capacity would be about 3500 to 4000 lbs. or 1 3/4 to 2 tons - maybe that's how your rating system works.

If this truck has air brakes installed, someone has done an extreme modification ('Can you say "overkill", Billy?').

Looks to be a decent truck that you should have a lot of fun with once you are done!
                  Mark Hayden
                  '66 Commander
                  Zone Coordinator
                  Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

I agree with Mark. I am puzzled, however, about the 8E-TF body tag. Are you sure it doesn't say "8E-T4"?

On other matters, I note that you say it's a 62, but the body plate says 8E. A 62 would be a 7E if it were built for US domestic sale. That said, export vehicles were sometimes assembled well after production of domestic vehicles had ended, so your truck could have been ordered in 62 but assembled later as an 8E. I point this out only because it might make a difference when ordering parts from US vendors. For example, I don't believe full-flow oil filters were introduced on LHD trucks until the 8E series. Not sure that change was ever made to RHD trucks, however.

Studebaker's local assembly plants made many modifcations to export vehicles for their own purposes, so it's possible that your truck was built with the 63-64 gauges in the earlier dashboard. There may be other similar idiosyncracies. It would be interesting to know if the local SA assembly plant ever printed a parts book supplement listing the modifications made locally. I know Stude printed separate parts books for its big export orders, like the RHD trucks built for the Indian Army.

Stude Ranch's comment about the US truck tonnage rating system is right on the mark, and has always confused me. I believe the terminology is based on something that the Interstate Commerce Commission developed back in the 1930s to standardize trucking regs across state lines. But even the current model names (F150, K1500) are now way too low.
                    Skip Lackie

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00240.jpg
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	1667835Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00242.jpg
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	1667834Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00241.jpg
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	1667833First of all i would like to thank all of you for your input.Its helpping me a lot.I would also like to know what type of axl is that with the 8 holes.The reason why i am saying its a 62 is because of the old timers who worked for the person who imported it from the USA but as i say they could be wrong.All the information i got of the champ was only word of mouth.I made an mistake it has vacuum assist brakes and not air brakes i missunderstood the owner used to tow a double horse trailer with it what was then connected to adapter valve on the towbar.The plate on the firewall is showing 8E Tb.I included a picture of the steering as well it differs a lot from the normal rhd champs you get here in south africa.Once again thx to all you studebaker gurus out there.

Comment

8E

I would say it is definitely an 8E series (63/64) Champ as it has the master cylinder mounted on the firewall. All 7E and earlier trucks had an under the floor master cylinder.
                        For the ID plate, it should read either "8E-T4" or "8E-T6" - there were no other choices that I am aware of considering it has the cab mounted on the frame.

Looks like you have your work cut out for you! Best of luck and keep us posted as you make progress - you'll have a great truck when you are done. Only around 1000 8E series 3/4 Champs were ever made.
                        Mark Hayden
                        '66 Commander
                        Zone Coordinator
                        Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

Fairlane, from your photos it appears that you have a 1963-64 8E series Champ pickup. The firewall mounted brake master cylinder and clutch rod through the firewall verify that. The numbers that you provided on the body tag, 8E-Tb, is most likely 8E-T6 which indicates that it is an 8E series and the T6 means it is a Deluxe Cab. From your photo of the engine bay I see no evidence that it has anything other than Studebaker's standard manual drum brakes, no power assist. There should be a 3"x3" square riveted plate located on the left door rear pillar about a foot above the floor that faces forward, and that has the vehicle identification number, gross vehicle weight and truck model number on it. The truck model number might show as 8E12-122, if so then that means 8E series 3/4 ton V-8 powered with a 122" wheelbase. The photo of the axle hub shows a full floating hypoid type axle which is consistent with a 3/4 ton truck. The axle could have a ratio anywhere from 4.10 to 4.88 to 1 and it might even have a traction type carrier in it. Look for a tag or tags attached to the the housing with one or more of the housing bolts (if they are still there?) that will give you that information. The info that I am giving you is based on a North American Champ and as the other guys have said, it may have export only differences.
                          Dean

CLEM

Comment

Power Brakes

Originally posted by Clem64 View Post
                            From your photo of the engine bay I see no evidence that it has anything other than Studebaker's standard manual drum brakes, no power assist.
                            Dean - 1 minor correction - trucks (even the 8E series) used a hydrovac unit mounted on the frame for "power brakes", not the mastervac type unit mounted on the firewall.
                            Mark Hayden
                            '66 Commander
                            Zone Coordinator
                            Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

hi guys i got the missing plate Clem 64 is right 8E12-122 is on the plate and the serial no is E12-b410

Comment

Working...
                              X