Bellhousing and other questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch / Torque Converter: Bellhousing and other questions

Hi all, I am getting the engine we picked up over the weekend ready to install in the 51 sedan and have a few questions. The engine had a couple of very lightly stuck valves but they freed up with very little effort. Otherwise if feels really good turning it by hand. The "new" engine has a straight drive bellhousing setup on it now and the car is automatic. From what I found in earlier posts I believe the procedure is the same for dial-in but are the tolerances the same? I am having a local machinist do the dial in (I have neither an indicator nor the knowledge to use it) and all I have currently is a few later model shop manuals (I will let him use the one for the 53) . Is there anything I need to make him aware of beyond whats in those manuals? I remember (but cant find) a post about the bolts in the crankshaft being different between a straight drive and an automatic, Is this true with the 6's also? Anything else I need to be aware of while making this swap? Thanks in advance, Steve
    sigpic

Bumping this. I will be dropping the engine and trans at the machinists late this evening and he will mate them tommorrow morning. Thanks, Steve
    sigpic

Comment

This is only an assumption, but.....the automatic drive cars have a 1/16 inch thick steel flex plate that bolts to the end of the crankshaft. Manual transmission cars have a thicker, cast iron flywheel that bolts in the same place. If the engine had a manual transmission, the bolts can be used, (unless the thread area is not long enough) but may need to be cut off so as not to interfere with the clutch.

Tolerances on bellhousing alignment are the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom B View Post
        This is only an assumption, but.....the automatic drive cars have a 1/16 inch thick steel flex plate that bolts to the end of the crankshaft. Manual transmission cars have a thicker, cast iron flywheel that bolts in the same place. If the engine had a manual transmission, the bolts can be used, (unless the thread area is not long enough) but may need to be cut off so as not to interfere with the clutch.

Tolerances on bellhousing alignment are the same.

Thanks Tom, I will deal with the bolts however I need to. Cutting them off sure seems like an easier way than changing them. The tolerances were my biggest concern since the machinist needs those numbers. Thanks again, Steve
        sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X