Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johnod View Post
    Nate

The only mention I found was in some of your older posts.
    Do you suppose it's a left over from the 53-4, 2 piece driveshaft parts bin?
    (If I understand correctly 55 is a single drive shaft?)

Sounds very wrong, I'm surprised it works.
    But I'm often surprised.
    *MY* '55 is a one piece shaft, but they weren't that way from the factory until '58. However, if there's any difference in pinion angle between pre-58 and later RA housings, it's only a couple degrees.

nate
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

A friend found this and I thought I would post the link for others to try to understand some of the fine points of aligning driveshafts:

http://www2.dana.com/pdf/J3311-1-HVTSS.PDF

Being as it is from Spicer, I think it is like getting it from the horse's mouth.

OOPS! I now see that this link is already on the thread. Sorry!
      Last edited by irishjr; 05-01-2011, 08:02 AM.
      sigpic
      Old Car Guy....New Stude Guy

Comment

So far testing my 57 Hawk at about 55 MPH I too hear a shudder or what I would call a angry Tasmanian Devil sound from right below the seat only when I hit a bump in the road, then it goes away. Sounds just like a worn bearing shaking loosely but just for a moment...

I thought that may be a bad center bearing though.. I'll be taking the drive shafts out for balancing but was wondering if this is a common bearing or only available through the Studebaker vendors? Hopefully it is OK and can be repacked but I may just get a new one.

Comment

Originally posted by HammondA100 View Post
          Hopefully it is OK and can be repacked but I may just get a new one.
          don't know about yours, but the one I took out, and the replacement one were both sealed type of bearings.
          sigpic
          1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

The bearing was available at NAPA (No Auto Parts Available....JOKE!), but the bearing alone cost more than the '58-64 GM carrier bearing assembly, which uses the same bearing.
            sigpic
            Old Car Guy....New Stude Guy

Comment

Working...
            X