How To Open Avanti Trunk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hawklover View Post
    The '67 Avanti my dad had was sold to a Fred Munch in Virgina......wonder if he or the car are alive?
    Fred Munch isn't listed in the current AOAI roster. Would you know the car's serial number and it can be looked up that way...if it is owned by a member, anyway.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Paydirt!

Fred sold our car to fellow AOAI member Ralph Quimby also in Virgina...........RQA-0179.

Four speed.

Comment

Ask the corvette crowd how they open their hoods when the cable fails? 52 Rag top has the answer.

Comment

I have a '69 Corvette...no problem. All I have to do is take it for a drive, hit a bump and the hood simply pops open! The possibility of the hood cables breaking at some point is why I don't adjust the locking mechanism to secure it better...I have a foolproof way of opening it should the cable break.
          Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

To open the trunk...as others have said, you can do it through the pass-through.
            I went to Sears and bought the longest screwdriver they have and it works great.
            For the hood issue, new Studebaker-style cables are not in stock from the usual sources.
            In prepare my freshly restored car for delivery, Allen Barth found mine had broken, so he did a fix on in that should last for awhile. Hopefully.
            63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Dan Booth at Nostalgic Motors has hood opening cables. He can also sell you a complete kit including the latch handle for under the dash, but it's different looking than stock Studebaker. I installed that in my '70...since I wasn't worried about original appearance, that was my best option.

Comment

Changed mind

Comment

Paydirt!

Fred sold our car to fellow AOAI member Ralph Quimby also in Virgina...........RQA-0179.

Four speed.
                  Ralph died in Nov. 2018. He had sold the Avanti. It was a very nice car.
                  -Dwight

Comment

When opening the trunk with a flat screwdriver, is there an actual screw head slot, or does the screwdriver just pry the trunk latch open ?

Comment

Originally posted by Stormy View Post
                      When opening the trunk with a flat screwdriver, is there an actual screw head slot, or does the screwdriver just pry the trunk latch open ?
                      Screw head slot in the latching mechanism. Pretty easy to see if you have a light in the trunk.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight FitzSimons View Post

Ralph died in Nov. 2018. He had sold the Avanti. It was a very nice car.
                        -Dwight
                        Sorry to hear that, I only had a slight issue with Mr. Quimby. He took my car which was white with a saddle interior, and repainted it black with black interior...yea yea, I know everybody's taste is different. Btw, where is "my" '67 now?

Comment

Sorry to hear that, I only had a slight issue with Mr. Quimby. He took my car which was white with a saddle interior, and repainted it black with black interior...yea yea, I know everybody's taste is different. Btw, where is "my" '67 now?
                          I don't know where the car went, but someone in our chapter might know. I'll put that question in my next newsletter and see if I can find out.

I agree with you about the color change. I don't know why black is so popular now. Besides, it's not even a color!

It appeared that Ralph (or a previous owner) did something to the car that I do like: Replace the front wheel openings with those that George Dimitsas used to make that were intermediate between Studebaker Avantis and the Avanti II. To me they were too large on Studebaker Avantis. Avanti Motors added a filler panel to lower the opening, but they went too far (JMHO).
                          -Dwight FitzSimons, Editor, Greater Virginia Chapter

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight FitzSimons View Post

I don't know where the car went, but someone in our chapter might know. I'll put that question in my next newsletter and see if I can find out.

I agree with you about the color change. I don't know why black is so popular now. Besides, it's not even a color!

It appeared that Ralph (or a previous owner) did something to the car that I do like: Replace the front wheel openings with those that George Dimitsas used to make that were intermediate between Studebaker Avantis and the Avanti II. To me they were too large on Studebaker Avantis. Avanti Motors added a filler panel to lower the opening, but they went too far (JMHO).
                            -Dwight FitzSimons, Editor, Greater Virginia Chapter
                            Factoid..........this car was originally from Miami, Florida. It was serviced by Richard Dahl of Trojan Service Center, who btw serviced my '64 Avanti during the time I lived in Miami during the late 60's and early 70's. More to the point, Dick told me the car was owned by a guy who was a drug dealer, and at certain times the car was brought in to "service"..........you see Dick was an amazing body man, and this Avanti had bullet holes in various parts of the body, the dash pad was replaced as it sustained major damage from the Smith&Wesson onslaught. And that is as they say, "the rest of the story"

Comment

Working...
                            X