No announcement yet.

Interchangability Of Bumpers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Interchangability Of Bumpers?

Are all front coupe bumpers the same from '53 to '61? How about the back bumper. I think '53 and '54 are exacly the same but the '55 to '61 will fit if you use the same years sheetmetal. Is this correct?

I can't say that I'm an authority, but I'm pretty sure you're right that 53 54 are the same and the 55 to 64 are the same. If I'm wrong, someone will jump all over it.
    sals54

Comment

I think 53,54 are more petite.55 and on are more massive.
      Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

The only difference I can see is the square holes for the brackets and license plates. The 53-54's had an extra 2 holes in the center.

Comment

The '53-'54 bumpers are narrower and closer to the body. A later bumper will fit on a '53 or '54 if you use the later brackets or braces, but it will stick out farther in front and on the sides. My '54 had a '55 bumper and braces on it when I got it. It looked ok, but the earlier one looks better.
          I don't know if the earlier bumper will fit a '55 or later.
          Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

So, let me see if I have this correct.
            #1. The front bumper for a coupe is the same for '53 thru '61 and are interchangeable.
            #2 The rear bumper is the same for a '53 and '54 but the '55 thru '61 bumpers will fit with correct sheetmetal and brackets but are a little bigger in size.
            I am not too concerned with #2 because I have a repairable rear bumper for my '53 but I would like to verify #1.
            Thanks for your responses.

Comment

The 53 and 54 bumpers are not as tall as the later 55-64 bumpers. If I remember correctly the 53-54 front bumper has more of a tapered look on either end.
              Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
              1961 Hawk 4-speed
              1967 Avanti
              1961 Lark 2 door
              1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Cruzzar, What year are you working on? The 53-54 fronts are the same, short and narrow. The 55 to 64 fronts are the same, taller and wider. If all you have is a 55 to 64 front it will fit on the 53-54 if you use the 55-64 braces . I doubt the 53-54 bumper will fit a 55-64.
                Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by Cruzzar View Post
                  So, let me see if I have this correct.
                  #1. The front bumper for a coupe is the same for '53 thru '61 and are interchangeable.
                  Thanks for your responses.
                  NO! (I have to make at least ten characters. 1953-1954 are the same. 1955-1964 are the same.)
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                    NO! (I have to make at least ten characters. 1953-1954 are the same. 1955-1964 are the same.)
                    True, but with the '55-64 front bumpers, you have 6, 8, and 10 hole variations.
                    Jerry Forrester
                    Forrester's Chrome
                    Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Thank you for the clarification on the front. I had a '53 coupe about 17 years ago (it came with its original front bumper). I am in the process of purchasing another '53 and the owner stated that any front bumper from '53 to '61 will interchange and they are all exactly the same. I was told (back 17 years ago) that the '53/'54 front bumper was specific to those years only.

Comment

Working...
                      X