Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1964 Studebaker Commander 259 questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: 1964 Studebaker Commander 259 questions.

Hi there, I just recently started to pull the heads off my 259 to get them cleaned up and check the gaskets, and get it road worthy again.

gaskets are fine but the head bolts were super loose (I could un-screw some of them with my hand.) When I took the heads off their was a little bit of water in about 3 of the cylinder heads.
    I cleaned the water out and was told to spray the cylinders with dw40 to clean them out better.

Here are a few questions I have, any help is very much appreciated.

-Is DW40 ok to spray in the cylinder heads to clean them?

-Did water get into the cylinders because of the loose head bolts?

-Where can I find specs for my 259?

Thank you for your help

The best place to find specs for your 259 is from the Studebaker Service Manual.

Had you run the engine before you pulled the heads?

Nick

Comment

-Is DW40 ok to spray in the cylinder heads to clean them?
      Yes

-Did water get into the cylinders because of the loose head bolts?
      Yes, probably.

Since the heads are off anyway, I'd recommend a valve job, hard exhaust seats and positive valve stem seals. If you can't afford all that, replacing the OEM valve stem seals is always a must.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

No, the car sat around for 3 months.. We originally thought we blew a head gasket,
        I drained all fluids and parked it until I could get some time and funds together.

Comment

Thank you for the advice. Will do.

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
            Yes

Yes, probably.

Since the heads are off anyway, I'd recommend a valve job, hard exhaust seats and positive valve stem seals. If you can't afford all that, replacing the OEM valve stem seals is always a must.

jack vines
            There has been some discussion as to the necessity of adding hardened seats to Studebaker heads. IMHO, unless the engine will be operating under heavy load and/or high mileage, I would not feel it necessary to add the hardened seats. But, have the valves ground and seated, and new valve seals, for sure. Those cylinders that had the water may need more than WD-40. Honing them may be required.

You need a shop manual, for sure. Contact with someone experienced in working on Studebaker V8s would be a great help. If you are not already and SDC member, in contact with your local chapter, I would recommend it.
            Jim Bradley
            Lake Monticello, VA
            '78 Avanti II
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X