Electronic Speedometer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo / Tach / Gauges: Electronic Speedometer

I have a Borg Warner DG250M ( SP-15438) transmission from a '55 Speedster in my truck. I was thinking of using an electronic speedometer. Has anybody had experience doing this or know who to contact for assistance?

If you want to go electronic, give these some thought from Speedhut.

http://www.speedhut.com/gauge_produc...ometer_GPS.htm

They can be ordered in a myriad of styles and options and they use GPS technology to give you speed. There is also a lot of other data available from the unit.

Only needs a connection for power and no need to connect to the tranny, so you can change tires and rear gears as much as you want without changing anything. Just put one on the Avanti and so far it's as promised.

Not cheap but they are in the ball park with other electronic speedometers.

Bob

Comment

Bob...those are sweet! Have you ordered from them? What is the lense material, glass or plastic/lexan?

Comment

What a brilliant idea! Wish I would have thought of it!

One note- I notice that, while my GPS appears to be accurate in comparison with my speedometer, there's a bit of lag time in speed changes compared to the speedometer. Sholdn't be a problem, though. Certainly better than so many stock speedos that are never accurate.

Thanks for sharing this- I suspect it's a concept that will really explode in the collector car world!
        Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
        Romans 15:13
        Deuteronomy 31:6
        Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
          If you want to go electronic, give these some thought from Speedhut.

http://www.speedhut.com/gauge_produc...ometer_GPS.htm

They can be ordered in a myriad of styles and options and they use GPS technology to give you speed. There is also a lot of other data available from the unit.

Only needs a connection for power and no need to connect to the tranny, so you can change tires and rear gears as much as you want without changing anything. Just put one on the Avanti and so far it's as promised.

Not cheap but they are in the ball park with other electronic speedometers.

Bob
          Thanks Bob,
          Looks like nice product. Will be ordering right away-Corrie

Comment

Originally posted by ozarkman View Post
            Bob...those are sweet! Have you ordered from them? What is the lense material, glass or plastic/lexan?
            Fred

I've ordered both the speedo and tach directly from Speedhut. After checking the other places that sell them, I determined there were to many variables that were only available directly from Speedhut. There are a myriad of colors both background and lighted and well as script and style.

I ordered the speedo last fall and installed just before the snow fell. In the short time I've been using it, it seems to climb smoothly and level out and hold the speed smoothly. I must admit that I've been watching tach and road more closely during acceleration. Had it on the road today, it acquires the signal quickly and there is a wiring option to hold the signal position for the next startup.

Material of construction is plastic. Mine is Black on black with classic script. The lens is clear plastic. In any case they are quite sturdy and the bracket that holds the gauge in the dash screws on the case. Best is they are only about 1 1/2" or so deep, really nice in the Avanti.

The tach is still in the box but should be in this week.

Also read the writeup about all the acceleration and timing data available from the unit.

So far they have exceeded expectations.

Lastly, they build each gauge to order so they usually ship about 3-4 days after they get the order.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Vernon C Cab View Post
              Thanks Bob,
              Looks like nice product. Will be ordering right away-Corrie
              Corrie, If this is your first time ordering from their website, be sure to look at all the options. There are a lot of variants. The good thing is they show you what the guage will look like, both color and style as you make the changes. Just check what you are specing closely and be sure the final specs en-toto are what you ordered. I'm not trying to scare you, just the opposite making you aware of the number of variables available.

Bob

Comment

OH MY-----

Just went to the Quad gauge page and played with the options- A-MA-ZING!! You custom design them however you like. Click 'Start' on each option and mouse over the different options. Unbelieveable!!

http://www.speedhut.com/custom_gauge...number-895.htm
                Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Thanks for the advice Bob. I did some more research and feel that Speedhut is the appropriate choice for my application from what I've read and seen. Will let you all know about how I feel about them once my project is on the road.
                  Corrie

Comment

So...what happens when you are in a tunnel?

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff Fors View Post
                      So...what happens when you are in a tunnel?
                      You come out the other side?
                      Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Probably nothing. Put it in cruise control before you enter or play it by ear until you reach the light at the other end

Comment

Originally posted by Vernon C Cab View Post
                          Probably nothing. Put it in cruise control before you enter or play it by ear until you reach the light at the other end
                          Unless the light is a train!!

Corrie, I'm glad you did your homework prior to ordering and you'll be very happy with the speedo. I just installed the tach to match the speedo and they are a good performing, good looking duo.

The red color when lighted at night really compliments the other Avanti gauges.

Bob

Comment

Working...
                          X